There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare

It was good tell new management took over.

Former Employee - Security Supertvisor in Ontario, CA
Former Employee - Security Supertvisor in Ontario, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well uesd to be a family feeling

Cons

No more a family feelig

You have no loyality

reviews filtered by
  1. IT Professional at Corporate Headquarters (entire review is from IT perspective; I can't speak to the field facilities)

Current Employee - IT Professional in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Corporate Culture; I genuinely feel valued (in a non-monetary sense)
    Management seems far more "human" (for lack of a better term) than other large employers I've worked at.
    Decent pay coming in if you know to ask for it (I didn't and have been fighting against that since then).
    Company seems genuinely resistant to layoffs; I don't fear for my job despite the recent problems for the company (reimbursement cuts from the the federal government).
    I genuinely like the CEO; I make no claims to truly knowing him but from everything I've seen and heard around the office he seems like a thoroughly decent human being who actually cares about our patients and employees. I could be kidding myself of course, but I choose to believe this.

Cons

Intermittent and small raises; you had better ask for a lot coming in because it's not going to get better just because you do your job well.
    Benefits (specifically medical) going from bad to worse.
    The corollary of a nice work environment is low turnover; this leads to a lack of opportunity for advancement.
    The corollary of not letting people go is that nobody (non-executives anyway) gets raises; deadwood and surplus middle management layers are kept instead. To their credit, they just eliminated a dozen surplus upper management positions which is a good start. But on my floor alone there are probably half a dozen people in middle management or senior "technical" positions (representing probably $200,000 or more of operating cost each between salary and benefits) that have no discernable function from the trenches. And on the lowest level, there are certainly some people that not only have no value, they actively impede those around them. Heck, maybe I'm one of them, I don't know, but it is very disheartening to not get raises while seeing these people keep their jobs. And most people that I talk to can come up with the same list of people in seconds; it's not just me.

From an IT perspective:
    Obviously I'm advocating a reduction in force (primarily lower/middle management) combined with decent raises for the remaining people. We have managers with less than 5 direct reports and a director with (honest to god) 2 TOTAL employees under them; there is some obvious fat to be cut and consolidation of duties that could occur. I'd be willing to take my chances knowing full well that I could be one of the people let go (honestly my group could get by with one less person and knowing the dynamics of my team, realistically it's 50-50 that I would lose that contest).

bulling that is the word and the work load is too much for type of license we hold to much

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Danville, KY
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Danville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The residents are wonderful and most of the employees and the polices and pay are good. We have good things to work with just are being bullied around by people who have barbaric and ancient idea's and are scared to lose power. They know these things are not working any more they just don't want to admit it. They cover up stuff to corporate.

Cons

bullies!!! it is a recycling bind that is years old and needs cleaning out!!! It need fresh new ideas and people at the top!!!

Clean out the recycling bind clean out the old get some new managment all of them new fresh ideas new people all of them need out on the floor or out the door in all the facilities it sounds like it I thought it was just in mine but from reading it is all around. Get some new ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare