Established sytems and supports

Current Employee - ExecutiveDirector
Current Employee - ExecutiveDirector

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experienced Clinical Supports
Cutting edge technology
Above avg pay scales

Cons

benefit package
recruitment
locations of service - rural

Advice to Management

Take care of those that are your front line service

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Too understaffed and over worked to do proper patient care.

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We don't have to answer pages to an ER,and you do get to know and care about familymembers and patients'.

Cons

Inadequate staffing
    Workloads that are dangerous to patients and impossible to carry out
    Management is not in touch with what staff who are working the floors have to contend with, & they are too tied up in constant "meetings" to assist staff.-typical middle management.
    There is no one to go to with any problems about workloads,or important issues, etc. The managers just nod and smile and nothing changes.If you try to go to the top then you are called into the office and scorned.
    Absolutely no backing of employess under any circumstances!
    Never have meds we need,equipment, or supplies. So cheap they even removed beverages from thre floors for patients! Patients' must call for every milk or coke! Sometimes the kitchen has time to bring it to them and sometimes not! Cafeteria isn't open very long and is closed at night.
    When we FINALLY have a day "once in a while" where we have staff, to do a good job-they budget someone! It is then the staff who are blamed for poor care and/or neglect, when it's those above, who won't give us enough help! Most employees "want" to take good care of their patients but just can't! I have seen many staff members in tears trying to achieve.
    The list could go on but you get the idea. The morale is very low,and no one wants to work extra to help because of the stress level there.Survey after survey they are told how it is but it doesn't really improve. :(

Advice to Management

PLEASE try and walk in your employees shoes, and take time to see what is going on,and try and CHANGE things for the better-not just say,"My hands are tied".
    Talk to staff politely.
    A pat on the back occasionally is a good motivater.

nurse

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time

Pros

Small facility, caring and outstanding CNAs, residents that become like family to you

Cons

'Fortune 500 company' but pay is low, workload is impossible, 1 nurse for a 30+-bed floor of long term residents and short term/rehab patients, frequent call-outs and turn-over, cutting staff, only concerned with money, no respect of staff privacy

Advice to Management

If you are in a business that takes care of people, then PEOPLE should be your bottom line, not your executive bonuses and how much money you can cut from hard-working people to satisfy your "budget". The staff nurses and aides that take care of your money-making patients are killing themselves trying to get the impossible workload done in a shift. This was once a very highly spoken of facility, and now it is going downhill because the focus is dollars. Stop cutting staff. Some short -term patients are very demanding, time-consuming, and more complex all the time; then you have your long-term demented, wandering, fall-risk residents that need constant supervision as well. A staff of 1 nurse and 1 or 2 aides for a floor of 30+ patients/residents can not do it all. It is not possible to provide any kind of proper care with that ratio.
    Ever see that show, "Undercover Boss'? I wish the head honchos at Kindred could spend a week trying to do my job, (or anyone's that actually works the floor). You wouldn't last one day.