Kindred Healthcare

www.kindredhealthcare.com
  www.kindredhealthcare.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare

Be prepared to get thrown under the bus.

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with the same patients everyday and forming relationships.

Cons

Really, if you're in Louisville, accept a job from anyone else and don't go to Kindred. That place is a factory and you'll get ran over. The people in management positions don't seem to know what's going on in that place and you don't want to be in a place where you put your licensure on the line. It is an impossible work load and 100s of alarm dings in a day. i have a friend that went to corporate recently; be prepared to be retaliated against with trumped up charges for speaking out on what goes on there! What a Christmas sentiment, right? i was really glad to get unemployment out of that place. i hope they let my friend there have it. When i was there, they didn't have a therapist supervisor on the ltac floor of the hospital but now they have one. i'm like, 'Hey, thanks for the support. Where was that kind of attention when i was there?'

They ran really outdated equipment. They had the last produced 7200 ventilator ever made! (Circa 1992?) When i went somewhere else to find a career as a therapist, it was difficult: 'Have you ever used this ventilator?...That ventilator?...' 'No, i ran 7200s and Velas.'

One time, i thought we were going to be on CNN. Somehow the place ran out of power and all the patients had to be 'bagged.' We are fortunate nothing bad happened to all these patients in very poor condition, with wires and tubes connected to them, in that place. i caught the place really low on 02 one time, too. Good grief. That place is a miracle.

There was a room that the suction didn't work at either. Stuff just seemed to mess up electronically in that room, too. Of course, i told maintenance, and he stuck the little tube inside the was to test it and of course he got a good test value INSIDE THE WALL. i said, 'but the plate is fitted loosely on the wall...' 'Yeah, but i got a good value inside the wall.'
i told him to operate the Ballard suctions in other rooms (with clear tubes for a control) and he still didn't understand. i know he was trying his best.

i got fired. i know my credibility probably doesn't mean much. Just know that i'm telling you the truth. There are so many pitfalls in that place. You're overworked (10 to 14 patients, with up to 8 WEANS!) with outdated equipment and have to work with poor rooms (bad wall suction, bad electric) and have to pay attention to HUNDREDS of alarms. It really wears you out. And, they won't advocate for you. It will chew you up and spit you out. Please be careful.

Please put a resp therapist in charge. It would be cool if more upper management had a clinical background before they decide to start benchmarking and making decisions.

345 Other Employee Reviews for Kindred Healthcare (View Most Recent)

One of the most difficult, physically demanding job I've ever had.

Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN) in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - RN (Registered Nurse ASN) in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some great, strong nurses that have graced the doors of Kindred.

Cons

There is no administrative support to the direct patient care staff. Most staff are so overwhelmed with the assignments that there is rarely any support among the team. The nursing ratio is too high for the acuity level of the patients.

Decrease the nurse to patient ratio. Increase the salaries and bonuses to the direct patient staff.

Low pay with horrible benefits

Current Employee - Staffing Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staffing Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers no other pros

Cons

The hospital I work at is very busy. Loved the job at first but the better employee you are the more work they give you. Was told I need to be available 24/7 but then they tell you "no overtime". The benefits are some of the worst I have seen. $4000 deductible for me and my daughter before insurance pays anything and it costs me $300 a month for just 2 people. No matching 401k, no raises in several years for anyone. Seems like it's nothing but th bottom line for them.

Give employees decent wages and benefits. No opportunity to learn. Just work work work

There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare