There are newer employer reviews for Kindred Healthcare

Not as bad as its reputation

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The care we gave was not as bad as I thought it would be based on the company's reputation, I was pleasantly surprised. The pay and benefits were comparable to other hospitals in the area. I generally liked my co-workers and even my bosses as people, even if they weren't always great at their jobs. I made friends there; my co-workers were laid back and not too ambitious/cut-throat. Good place to get promotions if that's your thing. The company should be grateful for the mostly insanely hard-working people who work there, especially the CNAs and nurses. It is physically and emotionally demanding job, and they have some very loyal, overworked and underpaid people there.

Cons

Very strong focus on saving money, which led to stretching employees and resources/materials very thin, resulting in less than ideal quality of care and employee burnout. Incompetent nurses were often promoted to get them away from direct patient care. It was stressful and embarrassing dealing with frequent patient and family complaints. There was very little training, mentorship, or support, both for clinical staff and for leadership roles. Management was too focused on micromanaging tiny details and putting out fires instead of big picture thinking like staff education or quality improvement programs.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more focus on education and quality improvement, less on cutting costs and patient length of stays. Investing in education and quality will lead to the cost improvements and higher census by improving the company's reputation and preventing costly errors (that happen when your staff is overworked with inadequate resources and training). Weed out some of the lazy, incompetent people in management, this is very demoralizing. Hire more clinical staff, don't just add more middle management positions to try to squeeze more from less.

Other Employee Reviews for Kindred Healthcare

Business Development

Former Employee - Business Development in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, bonus and benefits

Cons

Top heavy with management in the field

Advice to Management

Get in the field with employees

Not steady work, but better than nothing

Current Employee - PRN Physical Therapist Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - PRN Physical Therapist Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I have worked with have been caring people. There are a lot of facilities near my home.

Cons

There is too much confusion about how to get a Kindred employee who is loaning out to RehabCare, the nursing home and assisted living part of the company, paid. I have had to wait a long time for some of my pay. I have sent a lot of texts, faxes, and e-mails and made a lot of phone calls to get what I have gotten. I still have not had my second day of orientation that would allow me to work for the hospital part of the company. I started in Oct. I have been available for it and asking for it.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for loan outs to get paid. Communication in many areas needs to be improved.