Kirkland & Ellis

There are newer employer reviews for Kirkland & Ellis

Getting better

Current Employee - Practice Assistant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Practice Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Kirkland & Ellis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reviewed raise and bonus for 2012 (nothing in 2011). Free breakfast (fruits, bagel, cereal), tea and coffee. Free car service and food when working overtime.

Starts with 15 days vacation. Early closing (2 hours) before holidays.

Cons

Company advertised position for one amount but cut the amount down 7k when the job offer was made. Their reasoning was I was making a much lower salary (I was laid off and had to take a job which was 25% less to pay the bills) and therefore they cannot offer me a big salary jump (even though I qualify for the job and deserves the full compensation.

No room for growth.

It's who you know and not what you know that matters.

Lawyers can be impersonal and cheap (one person I am working for did not give me anything for the holidays in the past 2 years).

84 Other Employee Reviews for Kirkland & Ellis (View Most Recent)

Interviewee

I have been working at Kirkland & Ellis

Pros

Not sure if I know of any

Cons

The interviewer asked me questions that were so theoretical. It seemed like I was back in school taking my exam. Not a single question about my experience and how I dealt with specific situations. but asking me what is life cycle of BA. Common! Give me some credit for being a Sr. BA for almost 10 yrs.

Hey, it's BigLaw

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kirkland & Ellis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are decent if your reviews are good and you do well on the annual skills assessment.

Cons

It can be stressful, and secretaries are not afforded much in the way of respect or consideration. There is very little opportunity to advance to another position unless you are personal friends with the right people. There appears to be no correlation between intelligence, skills and experience and who gets the promotion. It boils down to whose butt you kiss and how well you do it. Other firms may operate this way as well, but because Kirkland chooses to call itself a meritocracy, it is particularly galling that cronyism rules the day.

You try to hire the best attorneys available, why not try to hire or advance the best administrators possible? Friends giving jobs to friends makes your staff ineffective.

There are newer employer reviews for Kirkland & Ellis