There are newer employer reviews for Kiwi Crate

Worst professional experience of my entire life--just absolutely terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For all of those who love working with children, other working parents, and creative teams focused on exciting products--BEWARE of Kiwi Crate! They talk a big talk about their focus on delightful creative materials, and I couldn't have possibly felt more decieved after mere weeks in the office. I can't say one of my "pros" for taking the job actually held up.

Cons

Staff members work like drones in a silent, tense office environment (interrupted by bizarre, obnoxious "bonding" activities), and are supported by a never-ending loop of contract employees. I've met several people who were told they were contract-to-hire, only to be let go the minute they began submitting invoices and asking to meet with managers. Absolutely terrible founders/management--they make getting paid a humilating, pleading experience. The few talented+friendly staff members are strecthed so thin, they have no positive influence on the abysmal office morale. Almost everything is sourced from China, and their disorganization is baffling (and far worse than any other startup I've ever worked at). The founder is the most difficult, disrespectful manager I've ever encountered. Literally 2% of their time and effort was actually spent discussing child development and appropriate materials...how did this collection of people put a children's company together?? There is nowhere to go at this place--I don't believe they will ever grow their subscription service from where it is (unless they start focusing on the needs of their target audience, and ditch top management). I'm all for paying dues and the go-to-the-action startup attitude--Kiwi Crate is, bottom line, just a miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop decieving new hires about the terms of their position, and find a better way to pay contractors/staff. Force managers and cofounders to take some sort of training (social skills, professional behavior, business management--everything!), and work on office transparency and communication. Plan more effectively, and be more careful with potentially toxic materials you're shipping to children. Mainly, I hope no one has to go through what many of us experienced. No one deserves the life this company gives you!

reviews filtered by
  1. Great people, a lot of positive emotions

Current Intern - IT Consultant QA in Mountain View, CA
    Current Intern - IT Consultant QA in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kiwi Crate as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Company values, team-building, great atmosphere

Cons

Personal growth, culture, a lot of opportunities.

Great people, great food, organized and responsive.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Kiwi Crate as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

As a contract employee, I was treated as if I were a FT regular employee. I was thoroughly trained, almost over trained, but it proved helpful in the end. Free catered lunches once a week with the entire company, games are played such stand up/sit down, it's really fun to get to know your co-workers this way. Upon leaving, I was given a gift and cards as a few other contractors were too, and a small party with cake. Everyone was very nice to work with.

Cons

For the regular FT employees- long hours, lots of hard work!

Advice to Management

Sandra's doing something right! It works great!