Kiwi Crate

www.kiwicrate.com
  www.kiwicrate.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kiwi Crate

Not all it is cracked up to be

Current Employee - Warehouse in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Warehouse in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kiwi Crate as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The concept is great in that it fosters creativity for children.
Some of the employees are very nice
Very clean facility

Cons

-I worked in the warehouse and left before my first 30 days were up. I wanted to work my way up but was discontent with the way some workers are treated.
-Poor pay for warehouse workers who are on their feet all day - $9/hr. There was no way I could see staying there doing manual labor and being exhausted for a few dollars a day.
-Lunch and snacks are provided for the office staff while there is nothing provided for the warehouse staff at all.
-Items for the kits are all imported from China and I'm not sure some of the things are safe such as the glue, glowsticks, etc.
-Warehouse employees are hired on as contractors so that they don't have to give the option of health insurance & other benefits.

-Instead of purchasing food daily for the office staff you should increase the pay of the hardworking people who assemble the boxes to go out.
-Have a reward system when goals are met for the warehouse staff.

18 Other Employee Reviews for Kiwi Crate (View Most Recent)

Hands-on process driven managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work with kids
    Create/design new crafts for kids
    Good hard workers

Cons

High turnover
    Underpaid workers
    Long hours
    Too much overhead

Empower employees and let them take ownership of products

Frenzied Fun

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-There are many opportunities to be creative and try out new ideas quickly
    -If you like kids (or you're a big kid yourself), there are always kids running around during product testing -- lots of fun!
    -Opportunities to make contributions/learn from many different departments; not hierarchical since it's a small company
    -Leadership sets a good example by pitching in WHEREVER there's a need, no matter how big or small
    -If you think of an idea or project, you can often take the reins on it (this can be good or bad, but if you're the type who loves to constantly learn new skills, then you'll definitely have the opportunity to do so)
    -Weekly (or biweekly) Friday Olympics and company-sponsored lunches where we all eat family style -- provides an opportunity to get to know people you don't often work with

Cons

-Moves at a very fast pace; many still check/respond to emails late in the evening and on weekends
    -Constantly shifting priorities, which means it can be difficult to know where and how much to focus

Help new employees identify goals and objectives, so he/she has a good sense of the "big picture" and why they were hired

There are newer employer reviews for Kiwi Crate