Unprofessional Atmosphere and Poor Career Development

Former Employee - Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is moderately high, and there is a very low bar to get in to work at the company if you are looking for a place to start in the industry. If you have been in the industry and are desperate for a job then this is an easy place to start at.

Cons

Very unprofessional atmosphere which I do not suggest any minority or female to look into working here over elsewhere. Many developers work late due to unrealistic work deadlines, and working on weekends a guarantee. It's very much a culture of fear where the CEO makes no qualms about firing or threatening to fire people for a multitude of reasons. Benefits at this company are very insignificant for the amount of work and verbal abuse from the top that you will be subject to, regardless of the job position you have. I really can't stress enough that if you are a female or minority then this is probably not the place for you. I strongly suggest that if you have the choice then you will choose to not work here.

Advice to Management

The biggest thing you could do to help your company is to find another CEO.

Other Employee Reviews for Kixeye

Hard work. Rewarding

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people Good games Great office Perks: free food, gym, "unlimited" vacation This is only my second job since graduating from college, but I certainly like it a lot more than my last. I'd say the culture is kind of made for me - pretty much everyone shares my sense of humor, which is weird. The games that they were already making brought me here, but the game I'm working on is making me stay. I can see myself here for a really long time.

Cons

Long hours Can be aggressive at times A lot of new faces I've heard a few co-workers talk about a "culture of fear". I'm slightly on the fence about it because I think there should be a bit of fear around missing dates and schedules. Honestly, I think the people that complain about that want a safer work environment and are better suited to a larger, slower moving company or maybe a position that isn't as critical to product delivery.

Advice to Management

Add more positive reinforcement. Celebrate victories. Put more game genres in the pipeline.

Fun, interesting, not really what I was expecting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is great. My team is great. My boss is great. Work comes in at a steady pace, I'm never required to stay longer than normal working hours. Unlimited PTO, company-wide bonus system to be enacted this year

Cons

I personally like the CEO but he rubs >80% of the company the wrong way. The game EPs are almost always in "sky is falling" mode. 25-35% of the company probably doesn't know what their main responsibilities are.

Advice to Management

Hire more senior staff who know what they're doing. Don't think that because you don't add new content in a game all its users are gonna flock away immediately. Take some time to fix more bugs to help retain players better.