Kixeye

www.kixeye.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye

Great start, but can we follow through?

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, experienced, relaxed people who understand fun, and the immense amount of hard work that goes into shipping fun.

Cons

"getting things done and getting them done well" has evaporated in the past year. Of three games in development, one is behind schedule, and one is slipping.

Higher management seems enthralled by several non-game projects that seem to us grunts to be a dangerous distraction from producing more games. Culture is starting to erode as KIXEYE scales up, and especially with a lot of hires from failed game companies who don't get how we operate.

97 Other Employee Reviews for Kixeye (View Most Recent)

Unprofessional Atmosphere and Poor Career Development

Former Employee - Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary is moderately high, and there is a very low bar to get in to work at the company if you are looking for a place to start in the industry. If you have been in the industry and are desperate for a job then this is an easy place to start at.

Cons

Very unprofessional atmosphere which I do not suggest any minority or female to look into working here over elsewhere. Many developers work late due to unrealistic work deadlines, and working on weekends a guarantee. It's very much a culture of fear where the CEO makes no qualms about firing or threatening to fire people for a multitude of reasons.

Benefits at this company are very insignificant for the amount of work and verbal abuse from the top that you will be subject to, regardless of the job position you have.

I really can't stress enough that if you are a female or minority then this is probably not the place for you. I strongly suggest that if you have the choice then you will choose to not work here.

The biggest thing you could do to help your company is to find another CEO.

Hard work. Rewarding

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart people
    Good games
    Great office
    Perks: free food, gym, "unlimited" vacation

This is only my second job since graduating from college, but I certainly like it a lot more than my last. I'd say the culture is kind of made for me - pretty much everyone shares my sense of humor, which is weird. The games that they were already making brought me here, but the game I'm working on is making me stay. I can see myself here for a really long time.

Cons

Long hours
    Can be aggressive at times
    A lot of new faces

I've heard a few co-workers talk about a "culture of fear". I'm slightly on the fence about it because I think there should be a bit of fear around missing dates and schedules. Honestly, I think the people that complain about that want a safer work environment and are better suited to a larger, slower moving company or maybe a position that isn't as critical to product delivery.

Add more positive reinforcement. Celebrate victories. Put more game genres in the pipeline.

There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye