Kixeye

www.kixeye.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye

Move fast, work hard, learn a lot and have a blast

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disclosure: I felt compelled to write a review for KIXEYE after reading some of the bogus reviews here. Voluntary attrition is extremely low and I can think of one or maybe two people who have voluntarily left in the last 9 months that I know of. I very much appreciate that fact that the teams don't do improvement plans and are quick to get rid of someone toxic or who isn't pulling their weight. I relocated to San Francisco for this job, so maybe it's the culture in general in the area, but I appreciate it. There are obvious examples of people who misrepresented themselves during the interview process. You can find their stories here.

Anyway, coming from a much slower moving company I enjoy the speed in which we work. I feel like we are on the verge of something really great. I was working on one of the existing games and then moved to a new game not yet released. I can say it's exciting to see things progress and even if this was the worst work environment, I'd still want to stay and see this game delivered. Thankfully that's not the case and I love working with my team. I'm constantly challenged and I'm learning. After 12 years in the industry, I don't think I can do much better unless I was running my own company.

The sexism rumors are not true from what I have observed. There are certainly some engineers on my team who might lack tact and sufficient social skills who say awkward things, but I'd encourage people to check it out for themselves and realize it's a pretty accepting place. The CEO is an easy target because he is direct and opinionated and I'm sure he's rubbed more than a few the wrong way but I agree with most of the decisions he has made. I thought criticisms of him were warranted at first, but I realized he has a very dry sense of humor and doesn't have much of a filter so he says what's on his mind.

Anyway, the Pros:
- Fun work
- Learning a lot and challenged
- Amazing team
- Good pay and quarterly bonuses
- Convenient office in downtown SF
- "unlimited" vacation

Cons

- Work pace can be brutal. Have worked a few weekends here and there
- Had a very bad experience with my former manager and management should have acted sooner - fortunately, he was terminated
- The office is getting crowded.
- Lot's of new faces - I don't know a lot of people outside of my team
- The shared tech needs lots of work

Keep doing what you are doing and more of it.

110 Other Employee Reviews for Kixeye (View Most Recent)

Fun, chaotic, set up to fall..

I worked at Kixeye full-time

Pros

Flexible PTO
    Catered lunch
    Great team, smart people
    Fun and creative workplace

Cons

Poor work/life balance
    Snobby executives
    Questionable culture
    No new products for a long time
    High turnover
    High stress

Worry less about the 'culture' and care more for the employees who work hard to make good products

Not as cool as it seems

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many talented coworkers that you get to work with and learn from. One of the founders, Dave is one of them (great guy, great boss).

Cons

They need a serious culture audit from an unbiased outside party. Preferably not one that they're paying. If you've heard rumors, they're probably true. While the founders seem like great guys and are very talented game creators, the rest of the executives are very difficult to work with. There more political games being created than actual games.

Despite their efforts to lighten up the bro-ish culture, there are a lot of sexist jokes thrown around that tend to be more mean-spirited than part of the 'creativity' agreement. The office is designed to look like the Death Star, and while cool at first, it gets kind of depressing after a while. There is absolutely no transparency with the executives, they spend a lot of time in corner offices. People who don't 'fit in' are marginalized.

Don't try so hard to be 'cool,' focus more on making people feel valued at their company and in their role.

There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye