There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye

If you are great at your job and constantly strive to improve, you will be rewarded and love your time here.

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm going to try to say things that have not already been said by most others. Technically, I would rate KIXEYE 4.5 stars, but as that is not an option I will round up.

Everyone is held accountable for their jobs. If you're not pulling your weight, you won't be here long. I greatly appreciate this as it eliminates weak links in departments. Some people think this contributes to an atmosphere of fear but if you are afraid for your job, you're probably not giving 100%.

I greatly enjoy the mandatory company Paintball outings every 6 months and the occasional renting out of the IMAX theater to see a movie. Each department also has their own regular outings to build teamwork.

Cons

Others have stated that the bar to get in is low, which is an utter lie. The bar to get in is set so high (sometimes frustratingly so) that I have seen many good candidates get rejected, including many of my personal references. The reason why this is a “Con” is that I've seen Management reject a candidate, that has been endorsed by several others that interviewed them first, with the thought that something better is going to come along. This causes positions to go many months without being filled, again with many qualified candidates getting passed over.

Basically, if you apply for a job here and get rejected, I would not take it too hard. You have to be something VERY specific to be accepted.

Departments tend to work in isolated pods with only the senior management as the communication tool between them. This is a purposeful decision made by the CEO but I still question its validity. I would like to see more of a public exchange of ideas between departments.

reviews filtered by

Fun, chaotic, set up to fall..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time

Pros

Flexible PTO
    Catered lunch
    Great team, smart people
    Fun and creative workplace

Cons

Poor work/life balance
    Snobby executives
    Questionable culture
    No new products for a long time
    High turnover
    High stress

Worry less about the 'culture' and care more for the employees who work hard to make good products

Move fast, work hard, learn a lot and have a blast

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disclosure: I felt compelled to write a review for KIXEYE after reading some of the bogus reviews here. Voluntary attrition is extremely low and I can think of one or maybe two people who have voluntarily left in the last 9 months that I know of. I very much appreciate that fact that the teams don't do improvement plans and are quick to get rid of someone toxic or who isn't pulling their weight. I relocated to San Francisco for this job, so maybe it's the culture in general in the area, but I appreciate it. There are obvious examples of people who misrepresented themselves during the interview process. You can find their stories here.

Anyway, coming from a much slower moving company I enjoy the speed in which we work. I feel like we are on the verge of something really great. I was working on one of the existing games and then moved to a new game not yet released. I can say it's exciting to see things progress and even if this was the worst work environment, I'd still want to stay and see this game delivered. Thankfully that's not the case and I love working with my team. I'm constantly challenged and I'm learning. After 12 years in the industry, I don't think I can do much better unless I was running my own company.

The sexism rumors are not true from what I have observed. There are certainly some engineers on my team who might lack tact and sufficient social skills who say awkward things, but I'd encourage people to check it out for themselves and realize it's a pretty accepting place. The CEO is an easy target because he is direct and opinionated and I'm sure he's rubbed more than a few the wrong way but I agree with most of the decisions he has made. I thought criticisms of him were warranted at first, but I realized he has a very dry sense of humor and doesn't have much of a filter so he says what's on his mind.

Anyway, the Pros:
    - Fun work
    - Learning a lot and challenged
    - Amazing team
    - Good pay and quarterly bonuses
    - Convenient office in downtown SF
    - "unlimited" vacation

Cons

- Work pace can be brutal. Have worked a few weekends here and there
    - Had a very bad experience with my former manager and management should have acted sooner - fortunately, he was terminated
    - The office is getting crowded.
    - Lot's of new faces - I don't know a lot of people outside of my team
    - The shared tech needs lots of work

Keep doing what you are doing and more of it.

There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye