There are newer employer reviews for Kixeye

Glad I worked there when it was smaller, and while there are lots of things I miss, I am happier now that I am gone.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super smart, super interesting, and super dedicated people making fun games. Working at KIXEYE will absolutely give you an opportunity to improve your current skill sets and learn new skills along the way. One thing I loved about KIXEYE was it is an environment where I felt like I could truly "be myself", and I got to laugh out loud every day. The pay was good, and the performance and referral bonuses I received during my time there were also quite generous.

Cons

This is absolutely a "lifestyle company", meaning for most people to succeed there, the company has to become your life. As you can imagine, the work / life balance was far from optimal. I was also one of the people who feel they were let go as a "sacrificial lamb". Many people have already mentioned the "blame game", and "culture of fear" as cons of KIXEYE, and I would have to agree. Still, I have and will continue to recommended KIXEYE to friends. But have also cautioned them that the company can be like a hot, smart, rich girlfriend/boyfriend with a big ego who tend to blame someone other than themselves when things go wrong. You feel lucky that you get to be with someone so amazing while you are with them, but they might break up with you at anytime for something that may or may not actually be your fault.

Advice to Management

A little humility can go a long way.

Other Employee Reviews for Kixeye

For a few months it was the greatest place to work. Then you see what goes on and become a fearful, nervous wreck.

I worked at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool office and perks (free lunches, snacks, game rooms, alcohol), interesting games in development, some great minds work there, most people that work there are easygoing and want to make KIXEYE a better place. If you want to work in gaming and need a foot in the door - you will learn a lot and you will learn fast.

Cons

Horrendous culture - constant fear of being fired if you're under-performing, over-worked or not best buds with your boss. Peers always trying to one-up you as a result. Incestuous relationships among the employees and managers causes false camaraderie and undeserved scrutiny to those don't want to take part. During my time there I witnessed or heard of people being fired for absolutely no explainable reason other than that their manager didn't like working with them or had a differing opinion. No warnings, no performance improvement plans.

Advice to Management

Your employees are human beings and deserve to be treated as such.

Best job I ever had

Pros

Fun and collaborative environment where hard work is rewarded

Cons

Work life balance can be hard sometimes due to the heavy workload, but hey.. it's a growing a thriving company. Once should expect this from a company that is doing well.

Advice to Management

Please be as transparent as possible in terms of future plans for the company and it's employees.