There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

dreary, but you do earn money

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

decent employees, the store is very good about scheduling around school. they do give pretty good hours sometimes.

Cons

definitely not a store that i would want to stay at long term. store management is decent, but corporate seems to be a mess. kmart does not invest nearly enough in keeping the store clean, and when it comes to replenishment there can't be a worse store.

Advice to Management

streamline replenishment! i hate having to tell customers that we've been out of a product for months, and worse yet, that i have no idea when we are getting another order in! Get rid of those stupid rewards cards and focus on keeping the store clean and hiring friendly, outgoing associates. That will build customer loyalty way more than 1% back on all their purchases.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not for college grads, stay away from this company

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Kmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most associates are great people, you feel really good helping out some of the customers, and I did learn quite a lot

Cons

This isn't a job for college graduates so don't apply. I trained right out of college for 24 weeks in a major metro area (after choosing where I wanted to go). They never once mentioned relocation to me following the training program, but I guess that wasn't an option so be prepared to move because I guess the area I was in was already full with managers.

The worst part of that situation is a few weeks into my training they hired someone for the 12-week training program and he got to stay in the area while as the inexperienced manager I got to move outside of the city.

The job doesn't pay well enough for what you have to deal with. Associates are way poorly (minimum wage) to be cross-trained across every department imaginable because all the company cares about is saving money and cutting corners... Count on the store being understaffed all the time since the scheduling will be done by the computer now too.

The stores look so bad because the company doesn't really care about the customer. They just care about their metrics like the SYWR rewards program for the customer that doesn't even have an e-mail address. The chairman of the board only cares about making sure the stores post on this social media website nobody will read because these 50-60 year old customers don't have e-mail and don't have internet either instead of investing in their stores.

If you want a real job out of college, save yourself the time and effort and go somewhere else.

2. Depressing

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Peers were highly effective and dedicated

Cons

Poorly led company with little regard for Customer service or the store experience.

Advice to Management

Invest in your stores!