Kmart

There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

Going out of business

Former Employee - Assistant Manager Hardlines
Former Employee - Assistant Manager Hardlines

I worked at Kmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not really many great things to say, but I did like getting a paycheck...

Cons

So much STRESS. This company is going out of business because they spend everything on jets for CEO's and bonus for their corporate employees, but dirt and stress for the front lines people. Their cashiers get treated like garbage. They will only pay new employees min wage if you are a cashier, and so much is expected of you. They have no budget to hire employees because they spend too much money on too much product in the store. There is never enough room for all the crap they have on the floor. This company will not be around for long, because they can not figure out how to treat people. GET A CLUE, your front lines are the face of your company, top level management should get paid way less then they do, spend the money on the front lines not the 2 year CEO's that sit around and do nothing but flush company money down the drain on the way to their next job, because who wants to work for Kmart- ME?? HELL NO!

1510 Other Employee Reviews for Kmart (View Most Recent)

most horrible job you will ever do as a store manager

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Kmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

none, none, none, none, none

Cons

extemely long hours. always on conference calls so they can tell you that you suck. Workload is unbearable. District loss prevention will look at you like you stole something. stay far away

close your stores

Worst place I've worked in ten years of retail

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Kmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Pay is almost halfway decent if you're not a cashier.

- You actually get an hour lunch instead of a half hour if you've been at work for over nine hours (good luck finding someone to cover you for that lunch, though.)

-Relatively flexible with your schedule if you give them lots of advance warning

Cons

-Huge turnover rate; company loves to look for reasons to fire people. Understaffed like whoa; often the only cashier would be the person at the service desk until 11 or 12. I was there on days where there were a grand total of four employees and the manager in the entire store. I wish I was makign this up.

-Weird internal politics when it comes to hiring, cross-training or switching people to new departments, which means you'll either never get any hours or you're going to get too many and get yourself burned out. I spent about six months as one of three-- just three-- people trained at the service desk, so ten hour days and no breaks were common because no one else could cover for me.

-Huge pressure from the top to get people to sign up for rewards cards, protection plans, credit cards, charity donations, etc. to the point that it was really just harassing the customer.

-The company is really trying to push itself as a new, "hip" company but the fact is that most of its loyalty base are older customers so expecting all of them to have an email (required for the rewards card) is ridiculous.

-Ridiculously clunky and faulty POS registers that crash/freeze all the time and then take seven minutes or so to load back up while the customer stands there. It's the worst POS system I have ever had the displeasure of working with and I've worked with many.

-Millions of coupons that nobody wants print out at the end of every transaction; I have never seen such a waste of paper. The customers comment on how insane it is all the time.

Please rethink the direction your company is headed. Sears Holdings is not going to last when Wal-Mart and Target are cleaner, cheaper, and not as understaffed. Pushing the email/e-receipt thing doesn't work when half of your customers are elderly. I have worked at both Sears and Kmart and both just went way overboard with hounding the customer and the customer doesn't like it.

There are newer employer reviews for Kmart