There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

Kmart

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Kmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good store management. Tries very hard to show the culture of caring.

Cons

The company continues "evolve" and doesn't seem to understand the human element.

Start looking at the big picture. There are to many projects that are due in a week, there is so much clothing in some stores that it will never hit the floor until it goes clearance. The RVP's and up make many decisions that have no direct impact on the customer experience. The SYWR card. Great idea, but it needs to be a card too, not exclusively paperless. We are losing many opportunities to gain new users, by requiring a email address. Spend some real time in a store. Not on a visit where it is all pomp and circumstance. Do it as they do on undercover boss see what a day is really like. This company has huge potential, lets use it!

1244 Other Employee Reviews for Kmart (View Most Recent)

Leaving the company was a blessing in disguise.

Former Employee - Unload Associate  in  Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - Unload Associate in Gresham, OR

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the senior associates (NOT management) were very friendly. Customers were very friendly as well. I rarely dealt with an unpleasant customer in my tenure with Kmart.

Cons

The workload is overwhelming for one person. I was hired as an unload associate initially, and I don't mind doing extra work....but when I can't finish my own workload because I'm doing 10+ other jobs meant for other associates, it becomes too much. You have to sacrifice so much of your time to accomplish the extra work thrown your way, and you get no thanks or recognition for going the extra mile.

Kmart claims it doesn't discriminate against potential employees, but that is a lie. The CEOS and general management are very right-wing and religious - which means LGBT employees MUST fly under the radar or they are quickly gotten rid of and weeded out. Obviously Kmart doesn't want to fire them for their sexual orientation, the media backlash would be a circus, so they B.S their excuse by saying the gay or lesbian employee is being let go due to "low productivity" or some similar reason.

What can I say. I don't want to offer any advice because honestly I want to see this company go down in flames like Rome....and like Nero, I will fiddle as it burns.

Starts off good, but doesn't end well...

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Ottumwa, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Ottumwa, IA

I worked at Kmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good first job because it gives you experience, especially working in the Kmart environment. You get to experience customer service on a very stressful level and it also gives you experience in retail in general.

The discount comes in handy and so does layaway.

Some of the people I worked with were fun/good to work with.

They were usually able to work around my schedule without conflict.

Cons

The lack of staff is tremendous. There's NEVER enough people working, whether it be on the floor or on the cash registers. There's all these tasks that management wants you to work on plus help customers at the same time. Most of these tasks require you to stray from your department and since there's just YOU in that department, when there's an angry customer looking for help it comes back to you because you were no where to be found.

Communication could be WAY better. There were countless times when whoever was at the Service Desk would call for people on the floor who had just went on break.

Kmart's technology is very out-dated.

Raises are not applicable and there are constantly employees coming in and going out.

The building itself is very old and I'm pretty sure if it were to go through a health inspection, they'd shut it down immediately.

The whole idea with Rewards Cards, Replacement Plans, and Sears Credit Cards is ridiculous. They expect all employees (including employees that communicate the least with customers) to get a certain number of all of these metrics every day they work. It's hard having to constantly nag customers for these metrics and then get complained at for it because corporate wants to cram all of these "Sears Solutions" down their throat.

GET IT TOGETHER! There's a reason why 80-some stores got closed down this past year.

There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!