There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

Its a good job if you can't find work elsewhere.

Current Employee - Cash Office Associate in Independence, MO
Current Employee - Cash Office Associate in Independence, MO

I have been working at Kmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work for, I enjoy customer service which I get to do a lot of here. Also, I like the flexibility I have since I am enrolled in full time classes.

Cons

This position is very low paying, to the point of making the rest of my life fairly frustrating.

Advice to Management

Management seems fine, depending on your attitude. If you have a bad attitude, you can't really expect them to give you a good attitude in return!

reviews filtered by

Starts off good, but doesn't end well...

Former Employee - Customer Service in Ottumwa, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Ottumwa, IA

I worked at Kmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a good first job because it gives you experience, especially working in the Kmart environment. You get to experience customer service on a very stressful level and it also gives you experience in retail in general.

The discount comes in handy and so does layaway.

Some of the people I worked with were fun/good to work with.

They were usually able to work around my schedule without conflict.

Cons

The lack of staff is tremendous. There's NEVER enough people working, whether it be on the floor or on the cash registers. There's all these tasks that management wants you to work on plus help customers at the same time. Most of these tasks require you to stray from your department and since there's just YOU in that department, when there's an angry customer looking for help it comes back to you because you were no where to be found.

Communication could be WAY better. There were countless times when whoever was at the Service Desk would call for people on the floor who had just went on break.

Kmart's technology is very out-dated.

Raises are not applicable and there are constantly employees coming in and going out.

The building itself is very old and I'm pretty sure if it were to go through a health inspection, they'd shut it down immediately.

The whole idea with Rewards Cards, Replacement Plans, and Sears Credit Cards is ridiculous. They expect all employees (including employees that communicate the least with customers) to get a certain number of all of these metrics every day they work. It's hard having to constantly nag customers for these metrics and then get complained at for it because corporate wants to cram all of these "Sears Solutions" down their throat.

Advice to Management

GET IT TOGETHER! There's a reason why 80-some stores got closed down this past year.

2. Mediocre company at best

Current Employee - Hardlines Merchandiser in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Hardlines Merchandiser in Murray, UT

I have been working at Kmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Some- friendly co-workers, steady hours

Cons

Rampant mismanagement, inability to manage employees, refusal to give full-time schedules, run-down stores, no supervision, RAISE FREEZE

Advice to Management

Get it together.

There are newer employer reviews for Kmart