Kmart

www.kmartcorp.com
  www.kmartcorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kmart

kmart is a bad place to work

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in McAllen, TX
Current Employee - Receiving Associate in McAllen, TX

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

the employee discount is about the only good thing about working for this company also the non manager associates are great to work with

Cons

management sucks, they think they are better than anyone else in the store. expectations are way to high,i mean you get what you pay for right,they treat us like they are paying us $15/hr

1. maby you should pay people that actually work a little bit more than people that stand at a regester
2. hire better managers
3. managers should have to work too,kmart is retail,the number 1 thing for any retail place is customer service.if a customer asks me a question and i don't know the answer and go to a manager for help, they are not to say"it's in your job discription to help customers" i thought customer service was in everyones job discription

1430 Other Employee Reviews for Kmart (View Most Recent)

Good Pay, Bad Job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Decent Benefits, good starting salary for managers. Depending on your store manager it is easy to get time off.

Cons

I have worked for Kmart for 2 years, and I must say it has been the worse 2 years of my life. Just as I was graduating from college I was approached about an assistant manager job. The salary was decent, I made more than most of my friends who were graduating with me. I read other reviews online about how bad Kmart is but the money drew me in. Kmart upper-level management has absolutley NO consideration for store level management. The store I am in has changed managers 7 times in 3 years, this should be an indicator. Also out of 4 people who started with me I am the only 1 left, and am looking to leave ASAP. I would not reccommend this company to anyone. They promise you decent work hours, every other weekend off, and bonuses. The bonus is a big joke! No one ever bonuses. Please do yourself a favor and run to Target.

Learn how to retain managers, by being more considerate. Recognize and appreciate the efforts of those managers on the "front line" in your stores.

Being an employee of Kmart

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willmar, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willmar, MN

I have been working at Kmart

Pros

Job offers variety of different tasks and can be challenging.

Cons

It seems as though Kmart is in a crazy circle. Employees have been told they haven't received a raise in two years due to the c-stats. Last year it was due to the economy. Each year they change the reason why there are no raises. This year they have constantly cut employee hours-- which they say is due to shrinkage-- yet the less employees-- the more shrinkage. They bring in an assistant manager to train-- so our salary is used up on that employee. That seems rather unfair. They can't seem to get their computers up to date so that the correct prices ring up-- it's pretty embarrasing when customers have to watch each item as it is rung up to see if it's ringing up as it was marked. Often the flyers show items on sale that are not carried in all stores-- we're a rural area and customers often travel lots of miles only to find out that we don't have what was advertised. It also creates a hostile environment when customers are waiting in line and a cashier has to call the department to check on prices constantly. The software updates are not thoroughly tested prior to implementation- they often do not work correctly. For instance instead of refunds where Shop Your Way Rewards are involved instead of the system crediting back the customer's SYWR card-- it makes one refund the cash to the customer. So the customer is free to use the SYWR money at a different store. Schedules for the week are not posted in advance making it impossible for one to plan life. Training is lacking-- they often have cashiers who have been on the job less than a few weeks doing the training. It seems to me like the primary directive of upper management concentrate on where the empty bags are placed and if we have the correct cleaning supplies in the tub etc., rather than the actual management of the store. The registers are falling apart-- the carts are bad.
    Kmart is often on the back end in implementing new ideas-- all companies had reward cards for years before Kmart decided to have them. Doesn't anyone ever come up with new, innovative ideas???
    Management does not know how to run a register or do Service Desk-- if they trained management first perhaps they'd know how to help out with customers. Customers get angry when they are grilled with all the questions-- do you have a reward card, do you want to donate to ?, do you want to apply for a Sears card, do you want to purchase a Smart plan. I don't know of any other store that I've ever shopped at that ask all those questions. When merchandise is short dated and is marked down-- it requires a mgr override for each item-- this takes time away from the people on the floor and makes customers wait even longer in lines. They expect their employees to dress nicely-- yet require the color white-- which shows dust and stains--and they allow some employees to where black bras underneath white shirts and wear torn pants and improper shoes. Given the fact that we don't have a lot of spare money-- maybe if Kmart wants to require uniforms-- they should provide them. I sincerely hope that Kmart gets their act together in order to stay in business. They need to listen to their employees and act upon their suggestions! They also need to invest some of their money back into the stores and hire innovative creative people!

Listen to the employees suggestioins, come up with innovative creative ideas, invest money back into their stores. Hire qualified people. Give good employees raises to keep them. Turn over costs the company money!

There are newer employer reviews for Kmart