Kneaders Bakery & Cafe

There are newer employer reviews for Kneaders Bakery & Cafe

Unreasonable physical demands

Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in Orem, UT
Former Employee - Sandwich Maker in Orem, UT

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

~Started above minimum wage due to past experience
~Gave nice raises based on performance
~Requests for cross-training in other jobs welcomed and granted.
~The managers all pitch in. The Store I worked at was the headquarters and even the founder would come over from the HQ and help run the store.

Cons

~You are expected to work through your entire shift without a break unless you were under 18years old. If asked the managers would claim that breaks were allowed but if you actually asked for one you were told later or not right now. I usually worked dayshift and would work from 7 or 8am until 4pm without a single break or something to eat. The only time I was allowed to leave the sandwich area for a "break" was due to temporary blindness from an extreme migraine caused by the stress of training and probably hunger. Even then the manager at the time was very upset with me for leaving.
~Received several tips while working as a server and table busser. There was no written policy for tips but if you report it to the store manager it would be taken from you for "fairness" since you weren't the only employee contributing to the customer. However, the tip is never seen again.
~Store management never seemed to get along with the corporate management.

Your employees are not robots.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Kneaders Bakery & Cafe (View Most Recent)

Kneaders has slaves, not employees.

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have competitive wages. Food is great.

Cons

Owners keep employee tips. No breaks or lunches. If they need you to stay, they don't ask, you had just better do it or get fired. Doesnt matter if you have to pick up your kids from school and you were scheduled to be off an hour ago - those kids can wait! You had better never get sick or pregnant and have a slow day because you will be reminded that you are easily replaceable and they will fire you.

The corporate owners are greedy beyond belief. The trainers and corporate staff are inept, but try to tell you that you're doing everything wrong.

Dont ever expect a kind word or praise from anyone here, it doesnt happen.

Treat your employees kindly. They are breaking their backs to line YOUR pockets, if they were treated better, they would actually stay more than a week or a month.

Franchise owners are great, corporate owners are not

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe

Pros

They worked with me on my schedule. Pay was better than expected. GM's and franchise owners are cool but are always irritated by corporate. Alot of the people that work there are pretty nice.

Cons

Corporate owners who do inspections are awful. They think they know what they are doing but fact is twice as many stores are owned by an investment group that corporate. They whine about everything and give no commendation. Micro managing, nitpicking, self absorbed, better than you attitude gets really old really fast. Send people home without asking. Treat pastry and bread crew like slaves - 10, 12 or more hour shifts and then tell them to suck it up - even though they never warned about the demanding schedule.

Treat employees like you say you do on your menu - "we consider ourselves a family". Or change your menu and stop lying. Listen when people have concerns and quit firing everyone you do not like on a personal level.

There are newer employer reviews for Kneaders Bakery & Cafe