Knewton

www.knewton.com
There are newer employer reviews for Knewton

A great place to work, in a domain with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Knewton emphasizes hiring talented and motivated people and succeeds at it. Communal space is exceptional and I really like going to work. They are very flexible with my work from home hours. I have great gear and any extras that i need to be comfortable while I work. People here are well balanced and interested in the world. Staff are not only contributing to their jobs, but also to the open source community and to the world at large. There are numerous examples of staff enrichment guilds, and volunteer work, and many scientific papers to be found. Hack days are quite exceptional events. We have whole product lines that exist because of them.

Cons

We are growing fast and we will be a little cramped until we secure our new space.

Keep it up. Get that new space ASAP.

17 Other Employee Reviews for Knewton (View Most Recent)

Incredible group of people and fun, positive culture

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really amazing group of people who are passionate about the work they are doing and care about the cause. Good work-life balance and management team makes a lot of effort to continually improve the culture.

Cons

Sometimes not as communicative regarding the overall product strategy as they could be.

Keep working on communication and transparency around product strategy. It's gotten better but can still be improved.

Great vision, people are doing the right stuff to make the company grow to the next Netflix of education.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Knewton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Smart and motivated people. People don't just do their job, they own stuff. Makes life easier and unties my hands.
    - Tech is cutting edge. Everyone contributes from large designs to code improvements to tools. No fear of trying something completely new if something is broken.
    - "Knerdy" culture. Lot's of learning and teaching happening in the office: people take online classes together, teach seminars from machine learning to java best practices to cooking classes.

Cons

- For someone with a family Knewton is a bit intense. This is understandable as the company is hitting an exponential growth curve and there is a lot of stuff happening on all fronts. Be prepared to react during the late night once a month on average.
    - Working remote is a challenge. Even though it's encouraged in theory, in practice Knewton is not there yet to fully support this given the speed that things move.
    - For the amount of work one is performing compared to other companies that are entering their 6th year, the compensation could be better.

Management is solid and available to anyone. They have the right balance of vision and practicality. Keep it going.

There are newer employer reviews for Knewton