Knife River

www.kniferiver.com
  www.kniferiver.com
There are newer employer reviews for Knife River

Fair place to work, good pay and bennies, erratic schedule sometimes

Current Employee - Current Employee in Bismarck, ND
Current Employee - Current Employee in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Knife River full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are generally good, with occasionally more overtime than you can handle. Generally, we are working with good equipment, and until the recession hit it was well taken care of - still not too bad. Normally, you can decline duty that takes you out of town and away from family. If you have a decent attitude and knowledge, you can expect others of your work rank to support you and throw down their best most days. We generally take a week or so off during the holidays so everyone can be with their families on Christmas. We have no paid vacation or sick days/pay, but overall are able to have days off on the bigger holidays. Generally, you can always voice concerns and problems.

Cons

In my experience, management is big on talk but short on action. If you are used to an involved problem solving interaction, likely you will be frustrated at having to deal with long term issues which are always talked about but seldom confronted and solved. If you happen to be an employee who is experienced and cognizant of company efficiency and financial matters, you might be frustrated at the waste that occurs in a larger company, often because your management team refuses to listen to any opinions but their own. As with most construction companies, your personal time evaporates a good share of the year. Lack of sleep and bizarre work schedules can and do raise serious safety issues. Lastly, if you are a person who remembers mistakes and looks ahead trying to dodge bad situations and problems, KR is equal to most others - we see the same issues year after year with little cooperation from management in effecting positive change.

Try and realize that your rank and file employees may have knowledge and experience which will help a great deal with working conditions and your bottom line. A condescending attitude towards them, along with the idea that a title somehow infers infallibility in decision-making and knowledge, is pretty arrogant. Those of us who get dirty for a living are daily pushed for real productivity; we get frustrated with poor decisions and long timelines being pushed downstream. It has been my experience in KR that it's better to tackle the problem and hope for a good outcome than to wait on a direction that never comes. Lastly, most times there is no reason to work extremely long hours or bizarre schedules - you're basically running a vehicle on flat tires when everyone's exhausted. Better to work smarter than harder.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Knife River (View Most Recent)

the employees are nice to work with all but a few

Former Employee - Formen in Williston, ND
    Former Employee - Formen in Williston, ND

I worked at Knife River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

money isn't bad and some eployees

Cons

the management on the top in northeastern ND need some major help. In over there heads.

They will get it sooner or later.

Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Sherwood, OR
    Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Sherwood, OR

I have been working at Knife River

Pros

Company Vehicle
    Casual workplace
    Great overtime opportunity

Cons

Long work hours in the summer

There are newer employer reviews for Knife River