Knife River
www.kniferiver.com Bismarck, ND 1000 to 5000 Employees

Fair place to work, good pay and bennies, erratic schedule sometimes

Current Employee (Current Employee)
Bismarck, ND

ProsPay and benefits are generally good, with occasionally more overtime than you can handle. Generally, we are working with good equipment, and until the recession hit it was well taken care of - still not too bad. Normally, you can decline duty that takes you out of town and away from family. If you have a decent attitude and knowledge, you can expect others of your work rank to support you and throw down their best most days. We generally take a week or so off during the holidays so everyone can be with their families on Christmas. We have no paid vacation or sick days/pay, but overall are able to have days off on the bigger holidays. Generally, you can always voice concerns and problems.

ConsIn my experience, management is big on talk but short on action. If you are used to an involved problem solving interaction, likely you will be frustrated at having to deal with long term issues which are always talked about but seldom confronted and solved. If you happen to be an employee who is experienced and cognizant of company efficiency and financial matters, you might be frustrated at the waste that occurs in a larger company, often because your management team refuses to listen to any opinions but their own. As with most construction companies, your personal time evaporates a good share of the year. Lack of sleep and bizarre work schedules can and do raise serious safety issues. Lastly, if you are a person who remembers mistakes and looks ahead trying to dodge bad situations and problems, KR is equal to most others - we see the same issues year after year with little cooperation from management in effecting positive change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and realize that your rank and file employees may have knowledge and experience which will help a great deal with working conditions and your bottom line. A condescending attitude towards them, along with the idea that a title somehow infers infallibility in decision-making and knowledge, is pretty arrogant. Those of us who get dirty for a living are daily pushed for real productivity; we get frustrated with poor decisions and long timelines being pushed downstream. It has been my experience in KR that it's better to tackle the problem and hope for a good outcome than to wait on a direction that never comes. Lastly, most times there is no reason to work extremely long hours or bizarre schedules - you're basically running a vehicle on flat tires when everyone's exhausted. Better to work smarter than harder.

the employees are nice to work with all but a few

Formen (Former Employee)
    Williston, ND

I worked at Knife River full-time for more than a year

Pros: money isn't bad and some eployees Cons: the management on the top in northeastern ND need some… Advice to Senior Management: They will get it sooner or later. More

Great atmosphere

Quality Control Technician (Current Employee)
    Sherwood, OR

I have been working at Knife River

Pros: Company Vehicle Casual workplace Great overtime opportunity Cons: Long work hours in the summer Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Knife River.

Worked for Knife River? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Knife River reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Knife River CEO Bill Schneider. All reviews posted anonymously by Knife River employees.