Knife River

www.kniferiver.com
  www.kniferiver.com
There are newer employer reviews for Knife River

Nice place to work, so long as you're ready to.

Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Sherwood, OR
Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Sherwood, OR

I worked at Knife River full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were generally great to be around. The lab was clean and well-maintained. Safety was of the highest priority.

Cons

The hours were long. I worked 10-hour days, and was still often the first one to leave for the day.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Knife River (View Most Recent)

Outstanding company with great market share

Former Employee - Sales Representative - Concrete in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative - Concrete in Portland, OR

I worked at Knife River part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to work, knowldgable people,

Cons

Pay needs to be adjusted upwards

Better pay is needed to match industry

Fair place to work, good pay and bennies, erratic schedule sometimes

Current Employee - Current Employee in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Knife River full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are generally good, with occasionally more overtime than you can handle. Generally, we are working with good equipment, and until the recession hit it was well taken care of - still not too bad. Normally, you can decline duty that takes you out of town and away from family. If you have a decent attitude and knowledge, you can expect others of your work rank to support you and throw down their best most days. We generally take a week or so off during the holidays so everyone can be with their families on Christmas. We have no paid vacation or sick days/pay, but overall are able to have days off on the bigger holidays. Generally, you can always voice concerns and problems.

Cons

In my experience, management is big on talk but short on action. If you are used to an involved problem solving interaction, likely you will be frustrated at having to deal with long term issues which are always talked about but seldom confronted and solved. If you happen to be an employee who is experienced and cognizant of company efficiency and financial matters, you might be frustrated at the waste that occurs in a larger company, often because your management team refuses to listen to any opinions but their own. As with most construction companies, your personal time evaporates a good share of the year. Lack of sleep and bizarre work schedules can and do raise serious safety issues. Lastly, if you are a person who remembers mistakes and looks ahead trying to dodge bad situations and problems, KR is equal to most others - we see the same issues year after year with little cooperation from management in effecting positive change.

Try and realize that your rank and file employees may have knowledge and experience which will help a great deal with working conditions and your bottom line. A condescending attitude towards them, along with the idea that a title somehow infers infallibility in decision-making and knowledge, is pretty arrogant. Those of us who get dirty for a living are daily pushed for real productivity; we get frustrated with poor decisions and long timelines being pushed downstream. It has been my experience in KR that it's better to tackle the problem and hope for a good outcome than to wait on a direction that never comes. Lastly, most times there is no reason to work extremely long hours or bizarre schedules - you're basically running a vehicle on flat tires when everyone's exhausted. Better to work smarter than harder.

There are newer employer reviews for Knife River