There are newer employer reviews for Knight Transportation

A great learning experience before moving on to the next step.

Current Employee - Customer Manager
Current Employee - Customer Manager

I have been working at Knight Transportation

Pros

Counter to what many have written on this website, I believe that Knight Transportation is a good enough place as any to start a career. I don't have a sense of being locked into this industry at all as many have stated.

The training provided by Knight is decent enough, it most certainly is sink-or-swim which will create some turnover right off the bat, however if you are a quick learner with the will to seek out new opportunities within the company, you will be acknowledged for your mentality.

Cons

Unfortunately, while I mentioned that you may be acknowledged for your work, you are rarely going to be rewarded. Bonuses are based on "market growth" and even while one manager may have absolutely stellar market growth compared to another, bonuses are very often static. There is no reward for a manager who wishes to go above and beyond their required duties to help secure freight outside of the plain dry-van variety.

Everyone complains about being underpaid, however Knight salaries are typically about 10% below the average for comparative salaries in the field.

NEGOTIATE VACATION TIME BEFORE YOU SIGN. Knight has a very "fine print" method to their vacation pay. New hires are not given a single day of vacation for close to a year and a half unless you work an extra weekend or a "comp day" such as one of the 3 or so holiday's a year Knight actually acknowledges. I started in the spring of 2010 and will not be officially awarded vacation days until the first of 2012.

Knight is a fantastic place to get the customer relations, brokerage, spot quoting and "think on your feet" training that you need to succeed in other industries. Learn the ropes here and move on to a different industry such as shipping, warehousing or a global logistics firm.

Advice to Management

Pay the entry level managers better and provide fairer benefits, this will lead to better customer relations which in turn will allow the company to grow each market more successfully.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pay your dues before going somewhere else to make fair money

Current Employee - Driver Manager
    Current Employee - Driver Manager

I have been working at Knight Transportation

Pros

Financially stable company, if you work hard, you will have a job. Co-workers are great and have a general good attitude towards each other. Insurance is good and reasonably priced for single individuals.

Cons

The bonus program is unattainable. There is no raise program - even for cost of living. An OR of 80 is a good goal but it is often achieved at the expense of its operations staff. High turnover is the biggest detractor here. If you have transportation operations experience, look elsewhere. Your work will not be appreciated and once you finally do get into a groove of doing your job, you will be inundated with reports that have to be generated along with running 35+ trucks.

Advice to Management

Show FINANCIAL appreciation to the employees you have now. High turnover in operations is resulting in high turnover in drivers, both of which are costing you dearly. There will be a mass exodus of operations staff should the job market ever turn around.

Think Carefully About This Industry

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Knight Transportation

Pros

The people I worked with in middle management were cool. Respect for the truck driver...I was not always the most friendly dispatcher in the world nor did I always say the nicest things, but now that I reflect upon this period in my life I understand the hardships drivers go through and just how important their role in our society is...although I will never return to this industry, forever endeared to my heart are those drivers I worked with and an experience I will never forget.

Cons

The pay sucked, the stress level was high, the rewards were minimal, opportunity for real professional advancement was terrible, there was a lot of hypocrisy, and there was a culture of incompetence. For college graduates considering a career in trucking logistics be very careful, unless your degree limits you to this field I would recommend looking at an entirely different industry. What you will find is that you will be expected to work every 3rd weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) as well as most holidays. You will also find yourself working an average of 11 hours per day 5 days a week and the pay just is not worth it. This industry also does not translate well into other industries if you decide to try your hand at something else, so for most that start in this industry most will also finish in it. This is why I say to be very careful about choosing this industry and if you're already in it, get out while you're still young. Trust me.

And to all the drivers, yes you're getting screwed. There is always pressure not to pay you your layover, extra drop pays, driver loads/unloads, etc unless you complain. In fact we were told explicitly to do just that, so you got to speak up!

Advice to Management

Promoting people that have never run a truck, such as strictly formerly customer service managers, to the corporate planner positions is just plain dumb. And maybe you already know this, but there are a lot of dumb and incompetent people working in your middle management positions.