There are newer employer reviews for Knight Transportation

Pay your dues before going somewhere else to make fair money

Current Employee - Driver Manager
Current Employee - Driver Manager

I have been working at Knight Transportation

Pros

Financially stable company, if you work hard, you will have a job. Co-workers are great and have a general good attitude towards each other. Insurance is good and reasonably priced for single individuals.

Cons

The bonus program is unattainable. There is no raise program - even for cost of living. An OR of 80 is a good goal but it is often achieved at the expense of its operations staff. High turnover is the biggest detractor here. If you have transportation operations experience, look elsewhere. Your work will not be appreciated and once you finally do get into a groove of doing your job, you will be inundated with reports that have to be generated along with running 35+ trucks.

Show FINANCIAL appreciation to the employees you have now. High turnover in operations is resulting in high turnover in drivers, both of which are costing you dearly. There will be a mass exodus of operations staff should the job market ever turn around.

74 Other Employee Reviews for Knight Transportation (View Most Recent)

Think Carefully About This Industry

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Knight Transportation

Pros

The people I worked with in middle management were cool. Respect for the truck driver...I was not always the most friendly dispatcher in the world nor did I always say the nicest things, but now that I reflect upon this period in my life I understand the hardships drivers go through and just how important their role in our society is...although I will never return to this industry, forever endeared to my heart are those drivers I worked with and an experience I will never forget.

Cons

The pay sucked, the stress level was high, the rewards were minimal, opportunity for real professional advancement was terrible, there was a lot of hypocrisy, and there was a culture of incompetence. For college graduates considering a career in trucking logistics be very careful, unless your degree limits you to this field I would recommend looking at an entirely different industry. What you will find is that you will be expected to work every 3rd weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) as well as most holidays. You will also find yourself working an average of 11 hours per day 5 days a week and the pay just is not worth it. This industry also does not translate well into other industries if you decide to try your hand at something else, so for most that start in this industry most will also finish in it. This is why I say to be very careful about choosing this industry and if you're already in it, get out while you're still young. Trust me.

And to all the drivers, yes you're getting screwed. There is always pressure not to pay you your layover, extra drop pays, driver loads/unloads, etc unless you complain. In fact we were told explicitly to do just that, so you got to speak up!

Promoting people that have never run a truck, such as strictly formerly customer service managers, to the corporate planner positions is just plain dumb. And maybe you already know this, but there are a lot of dumb and incompetent people working in your middle management positions.

Awful middle management

Former Employee - Regional Driver
    Former Employee - Regional Driver

I worked at Knight Transportation

Pros

Equipment is newer because of leasing.

Cons

Low pay(something goes wrong you get the blame pay drops to minimum) Very young middle management most of whom have never driven a truck full time so they have no idea what we deal with during our 14hrs nor do they care. Most terminals very small and not well maintained aka not cleaned, fuel pumps broken down, washer/dryer take your money but take hours to dry, etc. This company will make you burn your 14hrs in line to get into a terminal due to the fact that they want each person to gage every tires pressure immediently upon entry. In other words they micro manage you to death and then blame you for everything so they can drop your pay to the starting/lowest. Also anyone who calls in and complains that you did not move over to let them on the freeway will be added up till they once again can drop you to the lowest pay.

Pay the driver by the hour and provide something like a 2 week on 1 week off type schedule so we can have a life outside that truck!

There are newer employer reviews for Knight Transportation

Worked for Knight Transportation? Contribute to the Community!