Knowledge Universe

Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Knowledge Universe

They're getting better

I have been working at Knowledge Universe

Pros

We work with some great people and the early childhood education industry is important to our country. There have been lots of changes over the last few years and it seems like things are getting better.

Cons

There are still layoffs and the benefits aren't great.

108 Other Employee Reviews for Knowledge Universe (View Most Recent)

Business first, school second

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teachers are hard workers and strive to offer the best care and academic environment for the children.

Cons

No opportunities for professional development
    Hostile working environment
    Focus on generating revenue; and not on educating the children

As a former employee -- I also am a certified teacher -- I was appalled and disgusted by the they way this company disseminates learning and care of young children. Children are passed around the center like a bag of chips to avoid having to hire a second teacher for the room. As a result, there is no consistency and and constant disruption during core instruction time. Furthermore, teachers are bullied, threatened, and berated on a consistent basis.

The management only cares about bringing in money and getting their bonuses. In my personal experience, I was directly told to "dumb down" my curriculum so that the parents would buy the Kelsey programs so the company could bring in more money. In order to keep enrollments, management regularly tells staff to omit certain things from incident reports so that parents wouldn't pull their children out. Staff is constantly told that if they can't get with this program, there are plenty of others that are willing to take our place.

My advice to the CEO and management, is to listen to the teachers. We know how to do our jobs. My second piece of advice, get some individuals with doctorates and masters in education into your senior management over in Portland and district managing staff. You have business-minded people, with no education-based background at all running a school. I was told on many occasions that, "We are a business first, school second". This is coming from your directors and district managers. You are doing a huge disservice to your most important customers -- your students -- with that mentality.

Like it or not, every decision you make affects the children the most. The teachers will take your abuse -- it's not fair, but we sacrifice for our students. Your system of FTEs and how the numbers are calculated with no regard to individual classroom needs and student needs (special needs, special services) is not efficient, and quite frankly only benefits the management; and not the families.

On a final note, the only reason this company is still running, is because you have a dedicated and resilient teaching staff. Like I said, they take the abuse from your management for the sake of the children, but that doesn't make it right. The business aspect might be growing, with your numbers up and money coming in. Just know, your staff is miserable, because you treat them like animals. Education is going through major issues, and early child education is key in providing children with a strong academic foundation. Don't be part of the problem. Become a part of the solution.

Leadership issues

I have been working at Knowledge Universe

Pros

Worked with many good professionals on several projects and there are many areas for vast improvement in processes, so there are opportunities. New CEO has brought new promise that issues will be fixed but years of neglect can't be fixed over night but he appears to be moving the right direction.

Cons

Previous top management had made several "bad" business decisions and led the company almost off the proverbial cliff. Everyone there now is still greatly impacted by these decisions. Company has a, so far, deserved reputation for not valuing there employees worth and has had issues keeping staff.

"Professional Leadership" needs to be well defined and become the new mantra for all existing and new upper management to help get things going in the right direction and improve morale as years of less than professional behavior and turnover need to be overcome.

There are newer employer reviews for Knowledge Universe