Knowledge Universe

www.nurturegreatness.com
  www.nurturegreatness.com
There are newer employer reviews for Knowledge Universe

Executive management changes made in 2012 moving the company in a positive direction.

I have been working at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The addition of Tom Wyatt as CEO is a breath of fresh air. Tom believes taking care of employees is the first order of business, and he is fully committed to the education and care of children in the centers. After leaving a successful job as the CEO of Old Navy, Tom has consistently shown how much he cares for KU employees since arriving in 2012. For the first time in a number of years Knowledge Universe exceeded it's annual earnings target under the leadership of Tom Wyatt. The employees as well as the company are benefiting from the positive change.

Cons

Past executive management decisions resulted in poor performance.

Review and revise company benefits.

100 Other Employee Reviews for Knowledge Universe (View Most Recent)

They're getting better

I have been working at Knowledge Universe

Pros

We work with some great people and the early childhood education industry is important to our country. There have been lots of changes over the last few years and it seems like things are getting better.

Cons

There are still layoffs and the benefits aren't great.

Business first, school second

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Knowledge Universe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teachers are hard workers and strive to offer the best care and academic environment for the children.

Cons

No opportunities for professional development
    Hostile working environment
    Focus on generating revenue; and not on educating the children

As a former employee -- I also am a certified teacher -- I was appalled and disgusted by the they way this company disseminates learning and care of young children. Children are passed around the center like a bag of chips to avoid having to hire a second teacher for the room. As a result, there is no consistency and and constant disruption during core instruction time. Furthermore, teachers are bullied, threatened, and berated on a consistent basis.

The management only cares about bringing in money and getting their bonuses. In my personal experience, I was directly told to "dumb down" my curriculum so that the parents would buy the Kelsey programs so the company could bring in more money. In order to keep enrollments, management regularly tells staff to omit certain things from incident reports so that parents wouldn't pull their children out. Staff is constantly told that if they can't get with this program, there are plenty of others that are willing to take our place.

My advice to the CEO and management, is to listen to the teachers. We know how to do our jobs. My second piece of advice, get some individuals with doctorates and masters in education into your senior management over in Portland and district managing staff. You have business-minded people, with no education-based background at all running a school. I was told on many occasions that, "We are a business first, school second". This is coming from your directors and district managers. You are doing a huge disservice to your most important customers -- your students -- with that mentality.

Like it or not, every decision you make affects the children the most. The teachers will take your abuse -- it's not fair, but we sacrifice for our students. Your system of FTEs and how the numbers are calculated with no regard to individual classroom needs and student needs (special needs, special services) is not efficient, and quite frankly only benefits the management; and not the families.

On a final note, the only reason this company is still running, is because you have a dedicated and resilient teaching staff. Like I said, they take the abuse from your management for the sake of the children, but that doesn't make it right. The business aspect might be growing, with your numbers up and money coming in. Just know, your staff is miserable, because you treat them like animals. Education is going through major issues, and early child education is key in providing children with a strong academic foundation. Don't be part of the problem. Become a part of the solution.

There are newer employer reviews for Knowledge Universe