Kohl's

www.kohlscorporation.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Kohl's is an "OK" place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Kohl's has flexible scheduling, a good training program, great dress code options with the exception of shoes, a good variety of positions/departments to work within, lots of employee recognition, and a good over-all working environment. It's great for college/high school students looking to work part-time.

Cons

The employee discount is a joke, you get 15% (except on big items like luggage or electronics, which is less or not at all) which is OK but less than competing retailers that offer 30% or some even more. They lead you to believe you can actually GET 30% or more of a discount, but then tell you it's ONLY if you have a Kohl's Charge Card because you can stack coupons with your discount. They push credit hard on their employees, not just their customers. And they basically only give discount incentives to the employees with the charge card. It's a huge disappointment, especially for those who can't get approved for a card or don't want to risk their credit by opening one.

The dress code calls for closed toe shoes only but absolutely no tennis shoes or sneakers, only casual dress shoes. This is uncomfortable and bad for your feet when you are standing for 6+ hours in a day and/or climbing ladders in the stock room to get items, etc.

They often ask you to stay past your scheduled shift after you already took your quick 15 minute break, so then if you are over 6 hours, you don't get a lunch break.

You are not allowed to have water with you on the sales floor, period. Even if its over 95 degrees out and you are running around all day.

Pay is very low. Average Sales Associates/POS Associates start at minimum, NO negotiation. I actually had retail experience and still was only offered minimum.

There are credit card sales goals you must meet, you are required to push credit on each and every customer even if they try to politely say no thanks. Also you need to push to get emails from them, and then get them to take an online survey. Associates get only $1.00 for each credit card application they process that gets approved.

They schedule too few employees in a department with little back up from other departments. I was stressed for three days straight and was ready to almost quit because I had JUST finished training and was on the floor and they scheduled me to be the ONLY person in my department during my shift, I hardly knew anything yet.

Let us have water on the sales floor! When it is hot outside, even while air-conditioned inside, we become dehydrated from running around and I actually get migraines from lack of water.

Don't make employees stay later causing their hours to be at the time when they are allowed a half-hour lunch after they can't even have one anymore. We get hungry!

I am sure this is a corporate issue that you can't help, but you should give a better discount, not all of us can have a Kohl's charge or want one, it is very unfair!

Don't schedule new employees to be alone until they are familiar with the department and the basics, give it like two weeks, not two DAYS.

2665 Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's (View Most Recent)

Unfair

Current Employee - Point of Sale Associate in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Point of Sale Associate in Irving, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount is okay
    Co-workers are amazing. We help each other any way we can

Cons

Constantly pushing for credit
    Get hours cut if you don't get a ton of credit. I went from 23-34 hours and when I couldn't get more than 10 apps a week, they cut me to only 4 hours.
    Pay sucks
    Management is rude

Start treating the employees with more respect. Getting yelled at about credit will not motivate me to want to come to work!

Life at Kohl's

Current Employee - MMJ Sales Associate in League City, TX
    Current Employee - MMJ Sales Associate in League City, TX

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast-paced atmosphere
    Flexible work schedule
    Ability to climb up the work ladder

Cons

Low pay
    Low employee count
    Health benefits start after a year

Instead of standing around when things get tough on the floor, assist the employees needing help.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's