There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Customer Service policies engender bad customers.

Former Employee - POS Associate in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - POS Associate in Fremont, CA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store managers really care about the success of the individual stores and the company as a whole. The other employees are hard working and friendly. Community service opportunities are nice, and the schedule was very flexible. All of the policies for employees are very fair (regarding tardiness, attendance, etc...)

Cons

Customer service policies make customers think that they can be rude, lie, cheat, and steal, and that customer service associates must still bend over backwards to make them happy. Management will not support their employees in holding up company policy, which makes the customers think employees are uninformed/rude/incompetent. Customers were consistently disrespectful and rude, and management rarely defends the associates dealing with these situations, nor empowers them enough to defend themselves.

Advice to Management

Do not bend policies for customers; it teaches them to disrespect associates and demand to speak to a manager whenever they want a discount. Find a happy medium between asking customers for respect and offering to bend over backwards even when they lie and steal.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. Overall my experience was poor due to Regional/Territorial Management team.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting product lines. They strive to design everything to be as efficient as possible ie fixtures, visual, reports etc. They research and test everything they roll out to death (this is a good thing they want to ensure if they bring it to the store that it works well and provides value.

Cons

Because Kohls strives to provide a nearly identical shopping experience to all customers--EVERYTHING is controlled centrally (at headquarters). So it is very difficult to change sets and customize merchandising, or inventory needs at the store level. Not unlike many other retailers directions is given with regard to how mannequins should be dressed but if a bow on a dress was not exactly like the picture you would be called on it.

Advice to Management

HR interferes way too much with basic associate issues. Just so you know prior to a corporate visit (which was a couple times a year) we would be told by DM and RVP to spend as much payroll as possible and then they would come back two-three days later and tell us we would HAVE to make payroll. This happened for EVERY visit in CA.

2. it was pretty much expected

Former Employee - Cashier in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

my coworkers were pretty nice and friendly and the e3's were pretty chilll

Cons

hated standing and having to smile and greet every customer, regardless if they were rude or not