There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Have worked for much worse

Former Employee - AA Area Supervisor in Boston, MA
Former Employee - AA Area Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers Advancement based on work not length of service

Cons

Unfair pay practices, outside hires paid much higher than those promoted from within

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

DO NOT expect great things!

Current Employee - Associate in Mantua, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Mantua, NJ

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent employee discount. Nice break room.

Cons

NO work life balance because the work hours are inconsistent. You will work until 11:30pm and be back to work by 7:30am. Super low pay scale with high expectations. Yearly reviews are a joke. Was given a great evauation but it had to be changed because the manager is not allowed to give out evaluations that have the highest marks. I was told there is a scale that must be followed and a lot of the evaluations had to be changed to follow company protocol. So, my evaluation was tweaked to reflect company protocol and my scores were lowered slightly.....but I wasn't supposed to tell you that. The manager told me I shouldn 't have been told about that policy but I guess it slipped out.. POOR training...basically thrown to the wolves. No communication between management and associates. If you are a mind reader you will excel. Made to take verbal abuse from customers with a smile. Whatever the customer wants they get because they say so. No support for individual departments from management. Female management goes to lunch together and leaves an associate in the manage'ssupervisor's role while they eat. Associates not all treated th same. FAVORTISM!

Advice to Management

All management should know how each department runs in Kohl's. Hearing I don't know when I ask a question is not a good answer. If you are young and in charge remember you do not have the life experiences and work experiences to be a truly effective leader. Your department supervisors make Kohl's what it is. Stop taking responsibility for what the asociates do.

2. Kohls is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Lawrence, IN
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Lawrence, IN

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kohls has great employee discounts!

Cons

Hours are sporatic during the year.