Not Worth it at ALL

Former Employee - Associate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kohl's part-time for more than a year

Pros

None at all I hated it

Cons

they don't care about you or your personal life. They had me working midnight shifts on a school night when it wasn't my availability. They called me off almost everyday and when I had to call off for the first time ever they threatened to lower my hours.

Your employees have a life outside of work that involves school. I know it's hard to understand this but school comes before work not the other way around.

Other Reviews for Kohl's

I fell the company is very discriminating, I have Asperger's syndrome and I just feel like I'm underemployed.

Current Employee - Trainer  in  Monroe, OH
    Current Employee - Trainer in Monroe, OH

I have been working at Kohl's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of time off. Kohl's offers a green sheet system that approves days off without penalty

Cons

Low standards of employment and little to no annual raises

Treat your staff a little more like human beings!

Better History Than Future

Former Employee - Manager  in  Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Kohl's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Kohl's was the darling of the retail industry for many years and rightly so. While other retail companies looked to get into businesses outside their core competency, Kohl's remained focused on it's core retail business. Good benefits, but increases for good performance are pitiful.

Cons

Kohl's always prided itself on empowering it's people to make decisions and running a lean ship, but in recent years, no one below senior management is truly empowered and the lean machine has become fat, as each pyramid head builds their kingdom. Decisions are made by committees, dictated by upper management or not made at all because one mistake will get you fired. How can you run a fashion business without taking risks? Look at today's merchandise assortments; boring, lacking fashion, poor quality and the proprietary brands lack distinction from each other. This is what happens when the lowest price versus the best value for the customer drives the decision making.

Hard work, results and company loyalty no longer advances you through this company. Politics, having the right look and allegiance to your hiring manager, not the company, are the route for promotion today. Many positions are now filled by political lackeys, rather than professional retailers. The true merchants have all been killed off.

Management has lost it's way trying to please Wall Street. Needs to refocus on the customer and product. Do this and the business will improve and Wall Street will get the results it needs through increased sales.

Senior management has made some serious hiring mistakes and looked the other way until situations got to the point that allowing these people to continue would unveil senior management's hiring failures and embarrass them. Senior management needs to set an example for the culture and values of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's.

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!