Kohl's

www.kohlscorporation.com

1993 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Better than most big box retailers

Operations Area Supervisor (Former Employee) Bowling Green, KY

ProsCommitment to local communities
Access to company investment opportunities
Health insurance available for part time employees, before federal mandate
Employee scholarship and education opportunities

ConsJust like any big box retailer:
Weekends
Holidays
Limited control of hours per week for part time employees
Limited work schedule consistency for part time employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what sets you apart (or at least used to set you apart) from stores like Walmart and Target.

Do you really want to continue pursuing their model? When I started at Kohl's in 2005, we opened at 5:00 AM the day after Thanksgiving. Now you open at midnight. Next year, will you open at 7 PM Thanksgiving Day?

Your success has been built on taking care of your community: good customer service, well-above average employee benefit options, Kohl's Cares, and financial investment in local schools and volunteer organizations. It appears that in policy and operations decisions you have lost sight of the importance of taking care of your employees - which means far more than mere financial incentives. If this continues, you'll continue to see a decrease in employee morale that will lead to diminished customer service (which leads to diminished sales), higher employee turnover (which leads to higher costs), and diminished employee involvement in local community give-back programs (which leads to decreased differentiation by customers and investors between Kohl's and the other big box retailers).

In your attempt to increase your competitive stance with stores like Target, don't sacrifice the company ethos that allowed you to become competitive with national big box retailers in the first place. The heart and soul of Kohl's is what created Kohl's brand loyalty within me, a current customer and former employee, but my loyalty is waning because every year it becomes more difficult to differentiate between Kohl's and Walmart - and if we're just talking prices, I am always better-off shopping at Walmart.

Salary

Point of Sale Associate (Current Employee) Littleton, CO

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for less than a year

Pros: Working at kohls is fun and they have the best… Cons: You need to sell the kohls credit card and the… Advice to Senior Management: Increase the pay for hourly staff,creat room for upward mobility. More

Not a good experience.

Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) Chillicothe, OH

I have been working at Kohl's part-time for less than a year

Pros: The pro was that it was a good first job to… Cons: I had a really awful time at kohl's as did my coworkers who didn't… Advice to Senior Management: Don't just throw your new employees out on the sales floor. I was told I would be training with… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Kohl's.

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!