There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Better than most big box retailers

Former Employee - Operations Area Supervisor in Bowling Green, KY
Former Employee - Operations Area Supervisor in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Commitment to local communities
Access to company investment opportunities
Health insurance available for part time employees, before federal mandate
Employee scholarship and education opportunities

Cons

Just like any big box retailer:
Weekends
Holidays
Limited control of hours per week for part time employees
Limited work schedule consistency for part time employees

Advice to Management

Remember what sets you apart (or at least used to set you apart) from stores like Walmart and Target.

Do you really want to continue pursuing their model? When I started at Kohl's in 2005, we opened at 5:00 AM the day after Thanksgiving. Now you open at midnight. Next year, will you open at 7 PM Thanksgiving Day?

Your success has been built on taking care of your community: good customer service, well-above average employee benefit options, Kohl's Cares, and financial investment in local schools and volunteer organizations. It appears that in policy and operations decisions you have lost sight of the importance of taking care of your employees - which means far more than mere financial incentives. If this continues, you'll continue to see a decrease in employee morale that will lead to diminished customer service (which leads to diminished sales), higher employee turnover (which leads to higher costs), and diminished employee involvement in local community give-back programs (which leads to decreased differentiation by customers and investors between Kohl's and the other big box retailers).

In your attempt to increase your competitive stance with stores like Target, don't sacrifice the company ethos that allowed you to become competitive with national big box retailers in the first place. The heart and soul of Kohl's is what created Kohl's brand loyalty within me, a current customer and former employee, but my loyalty is waning because every year it becomes more difficult to differentiate between Kohl's and Walmart - and if we're just talking prices, I am always better-off shopping at Walmart.

reviews filtered by
  1. Salary

Current Employee - Point of Sale Associate in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Point of Sale Associate in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at kohls is fun and they have the best friendly staff ever.

Cons

You need to sell the kohls credit card and the pay is really very low.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay for hourly staff,creat room for upward mobility.

2. POOR CONSIDERATIONS OF EMPLOYEES

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

First pickins in the clearance sections was always a bonus.
    Also, the people are great to work with.

Cons

Working in customer service, I was obligated to take peoples dirty, used things, because of the "Yes we can" policy. Health be damned, it was a disgusting and thankless environment.

Advice to Management

Try to see your little worker bees as people, instead of machines. Try helping out with the load instead of sitting in the back office and gossiping.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's