There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Understaffed, overworked, underpaid, unappreciated

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Brookfield, WI
Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Kohl's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee discount

Some of the other associates are awesome

Cons

They NEVER staff appropriately and still expect you to somehow bend over backwards for customers. I worked in the Housewares/Domestics/Seasonal departments and was frequently the only employee working in all three departments at once. A single one of those departments gets more phone calls and customers requiring assistance than all of the other departments combined. Managing all three at once means that I am handling more than three times the customers of everyone else in the store combined. At least staff a second person!

They tell you to get someone to cover your departments so that you can take your breaks, but the clothing associates don't understand how to assist in the Home departments, and they just end up calling you. I--and every associate I worked with in these areas--would have to work through our breaks and UNPAID lunch hours on a daily basis. If you work a grueling nine-hour day, you will only get paid for eight.

They never give the raises that you have the potential to get because you will never meet their expectations for credit applications. When do I, as a floor associate, have time to help customers apply for credit cards?! I barely have enough time to do the rest of my job. I'm not sitting at a register all day, that I can just process credit application after credit application.

Corporate employees who come in to shop always have to tell you, "I'm from corporate." And they WILL expect preferential treatment. They don't care about the customers you are waiting on already. In general, corporate will make your life harder. Their planograms are impractical, and they never stock merchandise correctly. Do they ever actually look around when they come to the store? For example, everyone knows that Queen is the most popular size of bedding. Why wouldn't you supply more of it so the store is not constantly out of the items your customers want? As a floor associate, you will be the one paying the price for their poor decisions--and believe me, they make a LOT of them.

Sometimes you will not find out until Saturday whether or not you work on Sunday. The week-by-week scheduling is terrible and doesn't allow for flexibility in your personal life.

- Staff appropriately

- Pay attention to labor laws and make sure your employees are able to take their breaks

- Back off your insane expectations for credit applications. I actually had a manager tell me to go over to a group of men and "prostitute myself out" for credit. I should have sued then.

- Stop treating your corporate employees like they are better than your store associates, who are the ones ACTUALLY doing the work to make sure your customers come back.

- Get someone who actually works in the store to order/stock merchandise, because corporate is clueless. They do not supply enough of the popular items, and they supply too many of the unpopular items.

2177 Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's (View Most Recent)

had high hopes

Former Employee - Department Supervisor Misses Casual  in  Toms River, NJ
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor Misses Casual in Toms River, NJ

I worked at Kohl's full-time for more than a year

Pros

discount, team effort, communication
    actually the loss prevention team in the location where I worked was awesome. They did a great job! The store managers were a great group if I were talking about them outside the "work" environment

Cons

-not enough cashiers, always pulling associates off of floor in order to ring the register. fitting room control is a nightmare!!
    -customers allowed to bring the entire store in fitting room and it gets left on the floor for associates to clean up after.
    -favoritism
    -blind eye to associates poor work performance/bad behavior of those they "like" while micromanaging those that are new or less favored.
    - "folded on tables" merchandise..needs to be banned if you do not have enough associates to maintain them

Hire enough associates to cover the work load. No one should be made to feel inferior when being sabotaged by a fellow associate to make herself look good.( making her side look great while putting returns and fitting room clothes in another area, which makes That associates work load impossible to complete)

Good for a side job or for a few extra dollars

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Associate  in  Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Associate in Ocala, FL

I worked at Kohl's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The associates and management are all very nice and willing to pitch in and/or teach. This is a good position for a few extra dollars, but with the amount of work you do, the pay is just not suffice.

Cons

Not enough training, pay is very low, they don't give you too many hours. You're lucky if you get over 15.

Offer your new associates more training. Orientation should be structured better to give ample time for a thorough tour of the store and its staff. The rate of pay for POS vs Customer Service should not be the same. Customer Service Associates should be paid more than POS because the responsibilities are much greater. And last but not least, don't hire so many associates if the most you can give them is 15hrs. In this economy, people need jobs that will give them the salary and the hours. You will continue to lose staff if you don't supply them with their needs.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!