Kohl's

Fun but not the best

Current Employee - POS Associate
Current Employee - POS Associate

I have been working at Kohl's part-time

Pros

Kohls really is a fun place to work! Everybody that I worked with was really cool and everybody got a long.

Cons

HOURSSSS!!! Omg hours are a complete joke! I was hired in the beginning of October (before it started getting busy for the holidays) I was getting about 10 hours. Sometimes I got as little as 5 hours a week! Like what kind of job is this?! My hours didn't start picking up until like 2 weeks before Christmas. I worked a little more than 25 hours then the next week it dropped to 10. They go by your performance, for cashiers it's all on the amount of credit cards you open up. Those kohls credit card are annoying. Being a pos associate (cashier) I had to get customers to apply. There wasn't a set goal for each cashier to get, it was a goal for the whole store but managers would say you're supposed to get Atleast one per hour. Psh I was lucky if I got one in a 4 or 5 hour shif during the week. Managers are so unrealistic with the amount of credits you get. They think every customer is going to apply for credit or sign up for emails, they're not! Those kohls cards are EVERYTHING TO THEM. The cashiers that get the most credits, gets most hours. And believe me, getting customers to apply isn't as easy as they think. We were in the break room one day joking that if the mall was on fire or anything crazy was going on, we'd still be the only place in the mall open only because our manager wanted us to get more credit cards. Managers can be really annoying and always find something to nag you about, how many credits and emails have you gotten, you have one bag sticking out and "your registers a mess", even stupid things like your not being friendly, you're not smiling enough. Even people who have been there for years say "I think I've been here long enough to know how to do my job" it's like you can never do anything right. and sometimes on your days off they'll call you to go in. It's so annoying. You really don't want to go in but you feel like you have to since you need the hours. And they'll call only an hour before they want you to go in. I need time to get ready plus time to get there. and management is so dysfunctional. i was hired the begining of october, 2 or 3 weeks before they hired a bunch of the seasonal people, interviewed by our 0-1 and was told i wouldnt be seasonal, did orientation with one of the area supervisors and again, told it wasnt seasonal. the last week of december and going into january, they just all of a sudden stopped putting me on the schedule so i asked the same supervisor i did orientation with and she said it was because there were no hours. oh? then i went back by the end of that week to check the new schedule positive i would be on it but nope. so i asked that same area supervisor and she said to call her tomorrow to see if they were going to keep me. what? i wasnt seasonal. so i call her the next day and says she spoke to 0-1 and he said i wasnt staying. i said i thought i wasnt seasonal, you guys told me i wasnt and she says no you were seasonal. i went a whole 3 months thinking i wasnt seasonal. and i thought it was wrong how they never said anything about not keeping me but just all of a sudden stop putting me on the schedule.

All in all, kohls is more a place for younger people. If your still in school or already have a steady job but want a little extra cash. Your tiny paycheck will barely get you anywhere if it's your only job.
Their motto is KOHLS CARES but it really doesn't seem like they do. Poor hours and managers don't even seem to care about you.

GIVE MORE HOURS and start treating every one of your employees equal

2428 Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's (View Most Recent)

poor management, terrible treatment for employees

I worked at Kohl's

Pros

none, all are pretty terrible

Cons

the management is ruse and i didnt get more than 3 hours

give it up

Starts of well

I have been working at Kohl's part-time

Pros

People are mostly friendly, It is a fun environment to work in.

Cons

Goals are set on how many credit accounts and emails you get.
    Not always easy to get.

Higher pay would help some associates stay on longer.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's