Very negativeplace to work

Current Employee - Current Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Current Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kohl's full-time

Pros

Good Management training program. Competative salary.

Cons

-I can't speak for the company as a whole, but the people I have worked for at Kohls are very negative people. You will never be congratulated on the 99 things you do right. Rather, you will be hammered on the 1 thing they find wrong. It is almost like a game to see how bad they can make you feel about your worth to the company. -Payroll is a joke. If you are a manager, expect to work a lot of 6 day weeks and 12-14 hour days to make up for the lack of staffing. -If you get a visit from anyone higher than a District Manager, you will be expected to work 20 hour days and spend all the payroll you can. Then, you will have to work even longer the rest of the month because you will have to cut payroll to make the month. Here is the thing I don't understand....Do the Corporate level executives not understand that they are being lied to when they walk a store? Do they not get that 3 times the regular payroll was spent prepping for that visit? It seams to me that they want to be lied to. If it were me, I would want to see what my stores really looked like on a day to day basis. -A lot of metrics that they track daily. Most of these can be manipulated if you lacking integrity. There are so many managers in this company that cheat on these metrics (especially customer service and price change compliance) that the honest ones look like they are doing a bad job.

Advice to Management

We need new leadership at the top. Stop putting so much focus on metrics and more on integrity. For god sakes, give the store's the payroll they need t get the job done so the store management can have a life outside of work.

Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's

1. Kohl's Employment

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Appleton, WI

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Neat and tidy environment. Customers are fun and are easily satisfied.

Cons

E3s are unprofessional. They talk negatively about employees to other employees and in the presence of customers. Long-time part-time employees create an excessive amount of drama. Employees are allowed to be verbally abusive to new employees.

Advice to Management

It is a case of the tail wagging the Dog! It is an environment of cruel gossip and bullying that is not sanctioned by upper management. However, management does look the other way all too often.

2. Illusions of a good work environment.

Current Employee - Overnight Associate in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Overnight Associate in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some managers will compromise with your schedule, but only if it benefits them or the store.

Cons

Not enough hours weekly, Favoritism towards certain employees, Minimal annual raise

Advice to Management

I am sure this probably won't get to corporate human resources, but in case it somehow does, I don't find it fair and just for some managers to favor certain employees over others. I have been with this company for 6 years, now going on my 7th, and I have often voiced my desire to move up within the store, but every time I approach my store manager, I get brushed away with excuses. Meanwhile, the store manager will promote 3 employees. This is not the only issue I have with this company, I currently rent an apartment and have several bills, just like any other person, but I do not see how one can survive, pay bills and rent, working only 1 day a week. I have often told the store manager and the assistant managers, that I am open and willing to come in and work as a cashier or a sales associate, but yet again, I am brushed off. I fear that I will not be able to pay my rent or be able to put food on my table. I have been a loyal employee for the past 6 years of my life. I have given up so much within my time of employment for the good of the store. I am disgusted at the way they disregard their employees. I am currently looking for another job so I may leave this place of employment.