Great company :)

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Orange City, FL
Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Orange City, FL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here almost two years, and I work on the sales floor. I've learned so much, I can do almost about anything (without the exception of managing). While it can get hectic during the major holidays, year round it's overall a nice place to work. We get a good discount, vacation time, 401k benefits, health, vision, and dental too. Even tuition reimbursement. My management team is very helpful and they listen to us quite often. Work/Life balance is good too. Sometimes they can't always accommodate that, but they really try their best. To perk us up, my managers will hand out candy, or they'll bring in food. One morning they made us waffles and pancakes to thank us for our hard work. :) They actually do this quite a bit, to be honest. I like my managers just for the fact that they care about us and want us to be happy. It's really good to have that morale. I see here in other reviews some employees don't have such morale or don't feel respected. Every store is different. I got lucky I guess. My store is awarded best in our district almost every year, and working there it really shows. I work with a great team. :)

Cons

Operating hours can go well into midnight around Christmas.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Move On if Looking to Build a Career

Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good group of coworkers. Fellow associates are helpful. Stores are designed well and clean. Good training programs for Associates.

Cons

Schedulingt - most employees grumble the day schedule comes out. Too many weekends with no weekends off, no guarantee of hours, not enough hours, hours flluctuate too much to consider this your primary job, new hires with restricted availability given better hours than those with no restrictions. Salary is minimum wage even with experience. Store discounts don't make up for poverty level salary. Management - most department managers young and immature. Equal focus should be on developing young managers as on customer service skills of associates. Merchandise - can do a couple $1,000 of returns in a single day. Merchandise especially Kohl's brands are poor quality. No Hassle Return Policy probably reason employees only make minimum wage. Kohls takes anything back no matter when purchased and condition - has to be a money loser. And Kohl's cash - constant battle to explain to customers and to get them to understand when items are returned you lose the cash. Routines - many things are done because they have always been done "that way" even if they are an inconvenience to customer and take more of associates time. Certain routines need updated to make processes more efficient.

Advice to Management

Have never seen a district manager in store. Might be a good idea to have observations of management.

2. I only recommend this company to high school students

Former Employee - Freight Associate in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Freight Associate in Eagan, MN

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only a pro if you're looking to a part time job or a 2nd job.

Cons

- Short hours, it is not worth it to drive to work and work 4-5 hour shifts for the pay you receive. - Starting pay $7.65. What a joke for a big company. Most employees that work there, are all part timers. Most of them have this job as a 2nd job for extra money. - A lot of old employees, very slow. Meaning they do things in a slow manner. I can see how they don't get things done promptly and efficiently. - New shipment/inventory (clothing, etc.) get's sent to the store daily. It has to be put out that day or should be so customers can shop it. You can't put out new stuff unless if you have a visual book, but only managers/leads get the book. You can't put the item out where ever you want it has to go it's correct placement. It's very annoying to having to go check with the manager or lead for every single new item where it goes when a simple solution is to just give the book to the employee so they can use it as a reference. Whereas making you take extra steps when there's simple solution. - They only give you a lot of hours when it's under staff. For example inventory is coming up, 7 employees are going on vacation. My first 2 week I worked 12 hours. This week of inventory I work 39.5 hours. The week after when the employees come back I'm back to 12 hours.