Great Company, Lousy Hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee training program, good teamwork atmosphere. Keeping customers happy was easy because they put a lot of power in the hands of employees.

Cons

It's retail, so the hours are lousy. That's why I left. It also gets really busy during Christmas, back to school, etc.
Also, if you're not comfortable soliciting credit applications, don't take this job. Your managers will be pushing you to do it every day.

Advice to Management

Your employee base would be unprecedented if you upgraded their pay and hours.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great company :)

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Orange City, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Orange City, FL

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here almost two years, and I work on the sales floor. I've learned so much, I can do almost about anything (without the exception of managing). While it can get hectic during the major holidays, year round it's overall a nice place to work. We get a good discount, vacation time, 401k benefits, health, vision, and dental too. Even tuition reimbursement. My management team is very helpful and they listen to us quite often. Work/Life balance is good too. Sometimes they can't always accommodate that, but they really try their best. To perk us up, my managers will hand out candy, or they'll bring in food. One morning they made us waffles and pancakes to thank us for our hard work. :) They actually do this quite a bit, to be honest. I like my managers just for the fact that they care about us and want us to be happy. It's really good to have that morale. I see here in other reviews some employees don't have such morale or don't feel respected. Every store is different. I got lucky I guess. My store is awarded best in our district almost every year, and working there it really shows. I work with a great team. :)

Cons

Operating hours can go well into midnight around Christmas.

2. Stable company

I have been working at Kohl's full-time

Pros

Kohl's is financially stable, so there is never question if you will lose your job when the economy drops. They have always worked well with my schedule of school and family. The corporate team comes to the store and aren't treated like gods. Associates are encouraged (or should be encouraged) to speak to these individuals.

Cons

I hear the pay isn't great. I was transferred in at a higher pay grade. It is retail work, so deal with it. A job is what you make it...