Kohl's

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's

Not bad for retail.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Erie, PA
Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Erie, PA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generally flexible hours, a lot of employee shopping days.

Cons

Work is fast paced and management is constantly changing their minds on what they want.

You're employees know how to do their jobs better than you know how to do their jobs.

2527 Other Employee Reviews for Kohl's (View Most Recent)

Changed my view of every and any Kohl's out there.

Former Employee - Point of Sale Associate in Burlington, NJ
    Former Employee - Point of Sale Associate in Burlington, NJ

I worked at Kohl's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great to work with. Employee discount stacked on top of other discounts was nice.

Cons

Management was absolutely horrible. You truly mean nothing to them if you don't get credit applications. The way they make you push it on customers is honestly disturbing at times. I felt like I was trying to sell a timeshare to shoppers. If you don't get credit, it WILL affect your scheduled hours. NO CREDIT APPLICATIONS=NO HOURS. It's disgusting. And rude customers? Never you mind sharing common sense with them or expecting a manager to help you explain proper due course. The customer is ALWAYS right even when it's glaringly obvious that they're incorrect. So don't bother calling for help. Just knock off the percentage they're aiming to get and be done with it. That sales paper from 5 weeks ago? Of course we'll honor the price! Just ridiculous. Get it together Kohl's. You're worse than wishy washy politicians with your policy and logic.

Treat your employees like they mean something and please don't talk down to them. I saw far too much of that nonsense, covered with a thin blanket of passive aggression. Your customers aren't shopping at Saks, but you don't need to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Loss Prevention side of things

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at Kohl's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kohl's was a great company to work for. The Benefits were good, Upper Management really seemed to enjoy what they did. On the Loss Prevention side of things there was a lot of training involved. I personally worked with and trained a lot of people that just right off the bat you knew weren't ever going to "get it" but the company stuck with them and put the hours in to get them up to speed.

Cons

Kohl's, like most other retailers have recently, transitioned into less of an external focus and more of an internal and operational focus. By doing this they no longer needed guys like me (out-spoken, not insecure, etc.) and could hire anybody that could review reports and look for errors. While this is good for the company because it brings back shrink in the Operational and Internal areas it hurts the stores moral with the lack of an external focus.

Share and work well with your peers. The managers that succeeded and promoted were the ones that networked with managers at other stores and in other states. They bounced ideas back and forth and ultimately led their teams with better ideas. The managers that thought they could do it better and didn't "get along" really just hurt themselves by not being a team player and ultimately were left on their own to manage their areas and the store and many of them were unable to keep up and were forced to move on. Networking and teamwork is key at a retailer like Kohl's if you want to succeed or advance.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohl's