Kohler

www.kohler.com
  www.kohler.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kohler

Great experience. Would not go back.

Former Employee - Mechanical Project Engineer in Kohler, WI
Former Employee - Mechanical Project Engineer in Kohler, WI

I worked at Kohler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverser cross functional experience. Ability to work in high level position very early in career. International experience. Nice new offie for engines engineering. The Sheboygan area is a decent place to live and close enough to visit Milwaukee for a splash of culture. Lots of genuine and nice people at the working levels.

Cons

Cash compensation only slightly better than low end contract firms. My total cash compensation grew 90% when I moved on. Very disorganized and not clearly process driven. Training and development opportunities could stand to be better organized. HVK makes every important decision, so middle management indecision is rampent and progress can grind to a hault. Who you know being more important than what you know is more prevalent than most corporate environments. Nepotism is a term you need to be very comfortable with.

Pay your employees an average wage based on the industry and responsibility. Adopt some kind of formal continuous improvement process: A3, Six Sigma, Lean Process, anything. Become publicly traded or oust Herb, though David is not much better.

176 Other Employee Reviews for Kohler (View Most Recent)

Kohler's missed opportunity in a southern state. [Searcy Arkansas]

Former Employee - Non-scab, Due Payer in Searcy, AR
    Former Employee - Non-scab, Due Payer in Searcy, AR

I worked at Kohler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company, with a solid product. The only company I've ever worked for, with which I consider myself their customer. Very reasonable with Organized labor.

Cons

They allowed a clique majority of production workers, - polishers - at UAW local 100; to create the widest range of incomes I've ever seen, even in non-union shops: 27K - 90K. Had that money been spread out more evenly, strikes would have not happened. My Father and Uncles were UAW, and I was a member as well - Searcy's Local 100 was NOT how organized labor Works. Those of you failed the People of Searcy Arkansas; whatever you're doing now, do it over in baldknob.

Follow the Japanese model for setting up shop in the south. They don't compete with your products.

Dishonest and corrupt. Just a horrible place to be.

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Kohler, WI
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Kohler, WI

I worked at Kohler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many. Products are well crafted.

Cons

Management is just awful. At all levels of the company. Everybody operates in fear (HVK) and if you are not the "chosen employee" your career will go nowhere. Management excels at labeling employees and putting them in a box. Never moving anybody up the ladder because they have determined that you are not capable of doing anything other than your current position. HR is bloated and causes too many barriers to real success. HR is not employee friendly. If you confide in them they will notify your supervisor immediately and tell them everything.
    WARNING: If you value your career, this is not the place for you. Better think twice.

Not that this advice matters becuase Kohler will never change but here you go. The people you have working for you matter. Turnover is very high for a reason. People do not like being treated poorly and they will leave. You can replace them but consider the cost. It is now a culture of contempt. Wakeup and drop the ego.

There are newer employer reviews for Kohler