There are newer employer reviews for Komatsu America

Probably okay if I didn't have such a horrible boss

Former Employee - Finance Operations Representative in Rolling Meadows, IL
Former Employee - Finance Operations Representative in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Komatsu America

Pros

Facility was nice and well kept
Human Resources was accessible
Salary was excellent
Instituted a bonus structure
Interview was laid back

Cons

Boss micro managed all of us
Upper management is useless - used the I yell at you because my boss yelled at me and his boss yelled at him
Wanted you to succeed until they were afraid you would do better than them
No one wanted to give you any information and would actually heave a sigh when you asked
Tell you that you will travel no more than 3 days a month and then make you travel two weeks per month

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to reign in middle management. In order to have successful entry level employees, you need to praise and promote not scream and belittle.

reviews filtered by

Komatsu America Corp. Swings and Misses the Same Pitch Every Time

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Komatsu America

Pros

World class construction products with few peers from an engineering, manufacturing and machine performance standpoint. Very talented and professional employees in most functional areas of the day to day operations. Company is small enough and has the financial strength to quickly react to changing market conditions and has the potential to seriously challenge larger competitors in reacting to these changes.

Cons

Fundamentally incompetent senior management within the new machine sales function for all practical purposes neuters this company's potential to grow and retain market share by exploiting the strengths of the company as listed above. An outstanding engineering and manufacturing company hamstrung by a critical failure to understand the American construction equipment market and its own distribution.

Advice to Management

Seek out and hire talented, competent, accomplished professional senior sales management to evaluate KA's current approach to marketing new machine sales in the U.S and develop a sustainable strategy, then allow them to execute it. This will require developing some semblance of a backbone when dealing with the foreign ownership of this company. Develop a comprehensive succession plan to "grow your own" management talent and retain them.

2. Komatsu is a good place to work and is set to grow even further.

Current Employee - Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Komatsu America

Pros

Interesting product and markets keep the job interesting.

Cons

High pressure given strong competition and demanding customers.

Advice to Management

Distributor development is the key to growth. We already have great product.