There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Benefits and pay decrease with time.

Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Mountain Green, UT
Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Mountain Green, UT

Pros

The overall pay was very competitive and the benefits including health, vacation, and retirement were very good when I started ten years ago, but when I left; there was no retirement and the health insurance had gone from being completely employer paid for, to costing $150/month.

Cons

There is little room for growth because the company is very political in promoting management. An education or continuing education is not valued. The hours are long and variable. Some weeks you can work 60 hours and the next week 20. The busiest times are around holidays, which are when most people want time off.

Advice to Management

Value hardwork and education.

Other Employee Reviews for Kroger

1. Empire building is having a negative effect on a significant portion of the business.

Current Employee - Team Member in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Dothan, AL

Pros

The company is very stable in this rocky economy. The local site I work at has respect for its employees and is very conscientious about product quality. The managment is always open to working with the employees to find process improvements and new ideas to help our company be successful. My site is very supportive in helping team members progress in their career path. I have the trust and the freedom to do what is necessary to facilitate technology improvements at my local site.

Cons

Lack of consistency or communications. Poorly thought out initiatives are inflicted on business units without a full understanding or regard for the impact they will have.

Advice to Management

Kroger has a solid performing division in its Manufacturing businesses, but unfortunately technology decisions are being made without regard to the negative impact they will have on this business. Manufacturing is a profit center for this company. Its lead by employees who have the skill sets and the knowledge to increase our market share and make our Division more successful than its ever been. Rather than trying to fit the proverbial square into the round hole, Kroger would do well to support Manufacturing IT and provide us with more resources, rather than less.

2. Kroger is Great!

Current Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

A company that continues to grow and is 2nd in the nation in sales (next to Walmart). If you look for open jobs and have a professional attitude and work hard you can move up fast. I have worked for the company for more that 10 years and have enjoyed moving up the ranks in about 5 different positions. If you see a position that you like apply for it... the worst thing that can happen is they say no, but you can get feedback on how to improve or skills you need to learn. Work hard and you will be rewarded.

Cons

I have not personally seen too much of a downside. When I did work in the stores the hours were sometimes not optimal but is expected when you are starting out.

Advice to Management

I would say that the coverage of Kroger throughout the country is great. Perhaps look to move to the Northeast.