Kroger

www.kroger.com

Unhappy with my time at Krogers

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Richmond, MI
Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Richmond, MI

Pros

My 75 dollar weekly pay checks were better than nothing.. not much though

Cons

-Union
-Terrible hours
-Incompetent management
-Union
-No benefits
-Lazy co-workers
-Union

The worst part about working at Krogers is being required to join the union (I wish Michigan was a right to work state). As with most union jobs, the harder you work the more they expect out of you, yet if you're a lazy employee they expect little from you and won't fire you. They gave me 6 hour shifts so that they wouldn't have to give me any benefits. I was making bare minimum wage 7.40 an hour plus union dues, so I actually made below minimum wage, even though I had previous experience working in my field. None of the managers had any idea what they were doing. They had no idea how to schedule shifts. Some weeks I would work a total of 6 hours, other weeks i'd work 30 hours. They show no appreciation towards their (hard working) employees. I will NEVER work for a unionized company again.

Learn how to do your job. Start showing your employees some appreciation.

Other reviews for Kroger

Nothing is ever good enough.

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Jasper, GA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Jasper, GA

Pros

Nice co-workers. If you finish your job (night shift) you can go home anytime you please. You can talk or listen to your MP3 player as long as you finish your work in time.

Cons

The pay is poor if you're not a manager. Don't expect to hear any compliments about your work. Complaining is the main problem I have with this company.

Learn how to hire people when they are needed. Be nicer to your employees. Learn how to work a schedule.

Your typical retail/food service workplace, it is what it is.

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Depending on where you are hired in the stores your schedule can be pretty flexible. The benefits are decent compared to similar jobs, but are unfortunately getting worse with every contract renewal with the local Union.

Cons

In order for customers to come first, the employee needs to come first. Very sales driven company. To the point where the customer is always right even when completely wrong.

There's been a lot of drama and suspicious activities within the upper management crowd and that stuff trickles down to the employees setting a bad example. I feel that this hinders their ability to enforce workplace regulations and maintain order.

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger.

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!