Kroger

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Very long and dissappointing

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in West Memphis, AR
Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Guarenteed raises until you top out. Decent insurance benefits. Good job security.

Cons

Almost impossible to get full time. Inconvient hours during the week. Management cuts too many hours even though they always meet their budget. No help on the front end so usually everybody else in the store is responsible to make up for the slack and hardly any work gets done in the other departments, which seems counter productive. The union seems to be more of a con in this line of work when people who have more seniority do less work and still get the oppurtunities before someone else who is more hard working and better qualified.

I know the customer is always first but at the store I work at in West Memphis the management does not care about their employees and hardly anyone is happy working their. The turnover rate is not very good and will probably eventually get worse to the point where it's basically like McDonalds and new people are hired every week. If the management makes their employees feel unimportant and doesn't allow them to move up in a well establised company like Kroger then Kroger can't continue to grow and make a better store/company. It is sometimes very dreadful to wake up in the morning and get ready to go to work at a place you have been with for 7 years and know it may be years, if even at all, before you get a better position. I don't want to be stock making 15,000 a year after investing this much of my life in a company. Nobody today can live a decent life off that income.

1913 Other Employee Reviews for Kroger (View Most Recent)

Overall - good company to work for.

Former Employee - Cashier in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Marietta, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job interview. Co-workers were friendly and tried to help each other out (by taking over shifts, cleaning your station if there was a spill, handling an irate customer, etc.). HR and manager offices were always open if you needed help or had a question.

Cons

They posted weekly cashier reports on our line times and how fast we scanned items. I was constantly low because I worked in a "10 items or less" line and would get people with many more items (then bag by myself) or have errors with coupons and have to wait for a supervisor to help me (which took quite a while if they were on the phone, in a meeting, etc.).

They also couldn't work around my schedule (which I specified when I applied). I was in class and could work no more than 10 hours per week (which was incredibly low, but they mainly needed someone for Wednesday morning (senior discount day - ugh). They constantly scheduled me for time I couldn't do or days I specifically told them I needed off (my best friend's wedding, for example). I always found someone to cover my shift though.

They didn't keep me after the "review period" because of my item scan times and the scheduling issues.

Pay attention to the time schedule on the employee's job application. Have more supervisors up front to handle coupon issues or people who want to check out in the "10 items or less" lines.

You get what you put in with this job

Former Employee - Bistro Chef in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Bistro Chef in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot about customer service

Cons

The customers can be very rude and hard to deal with

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger