There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Very long and dissappointing

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker  in  West Memphis, AR
Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Guarenteed raises until you top out. Decent insurance benefits. Good job security.

Cons

Almost impossible to get full time. Inconvient hours during the week. Management cuts too many hours even though they always meet their budget. No help on the front end so usually everybody else in the store is responsible to make up for the slack and hardly any work gets done in the other departments, which seems counter productive. The union seems to be more of a con in this line of work when people who have more seniority do less work and still get the oppurtunities before someone else who is more hard working and better qualified.

I know the customer is always first but at the store I work at in West Memphis the management does not care about their employees and hardly anyone is happy working their. The turnover rate is not very good and will probably eventually get worse to the point where it's basically like McDonalds and new people are hired every week. If the management makes their employees feel unimportant and doesn't allow them to move up in a well establised company like Kroger then Kroger can't continue to grow and make a better store/company. It is sometimes very dreadful to wake up in the morning and get ready to go to work at a place you have been with for 7 years and know it may be years, if even at all, before you get a better position. I don't want to be stock making 15,000 a year after investing this much of my life in a company. Nobody today can live a decent life off that income.

1523 Other Employee Reviews for Kroger (View Most Recent)

Unhappy with my time at Krogers

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Richmond, MI
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Richmond, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

My 75 dollar weekly pay checks were better than nothing.. not much though

Cons

-Union
    -Terrible hours
    -Incompetent management
    -Union
    -No benefits
    -Lazy co-workers
    -Union

The worst part about working at Krogers is being required to join the union (I wish Michigan was a right to work state). As with most union jobs, the harder you work the more they expect out of you, yet if you're a lazy employee they expect little from you and won't fire you. They gave me 6 hour shifts so that they wouldn't have to give me any benefits. I was making bare minimum wage 7.40 an hour plus union dues, so I actually made below minimum wage, even though I had previous experience working in my field. None of the managers had any idea what they were doing. They had no idea how to schedule shifts. Some weeks I would work a total of 6 hours, other weeks i'd work 30 hours. They show no appreciation towards their (hard working) employees. I will NEVER work for a unionized company again.

Learn how to do your job. Start showing your employees some appreciation.

Your typical retail/food service workplace, it is what it is.

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Depending on where you are hired in the stores your schedule can be pretty flexible. The benefits are decent compared to similar jobs, but are unfortunately getting worse with every contract renewal with the local Union.

Cons

In order for customers to come first, the employee needs to come first. Very sales driven company. To the point where the customer is always right even when completely wrong.

There's been a lot of drama and suspicious activities within the upper management crowd and that stuff trickles down to the employees setting a bad example. I feel that this hinders their ability to enforce workplace regulations and maintain order.

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!