Kroger

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Pretty good

Current Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Cashier in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid weekly, great benefits, employee discount, flexible schedule; good work environment, great people to work with, great products in the storre

Cons

Not enough hours unless you're full time; break time could stand to be longer; employee discount could be higher;

Provide more hours for cashiers

1692 Other Employee Reviews for Kroger (View Most Recent)

The store itself isn't bad, but the customers will get to you

Current Employee - Cashier in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part, they're flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Kroger spends SO much time bending over backwards to suck up to their customers that they've grown accustomed to being wined and dined ( At least my store). This causes customers to literally throw a fit when there isn't a bagger on a lane ("I have to bag my own grocceries? REALLY?") or if an item rings up higher than normal because they haven't presented their 'Plus' card yet ("UH excuse me, this rang up wrong, that means I get it for free now") The examples go on and on.
    The supervisors will swoop in the moment you begin a conversation during downtime (believe me, there is plenty of downtime in the middle of the week) and tell you to break it up and stand out on "cashier alert" (which consists entirely of standing at the end of your lane and waiting silently for a customer) Meanwhile, they stand in their 4-person huddle and laugh and joke all day, regardless of how busy we are, and regardless of the fact that we could actually use their help on the floor.

The will constantly change the schedule without telling you, and then punish you when you don't show up for the correct shift.

Listen to the concerns of your staff. PLEASE.

It's a job

Current Employee - Checker in Aspen, CO
    Current Employee - Checker in Aspen, CO

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would say that what working in grocery retail offers is job stability and good benefits. Also, I work with some really nice people.

Cons

Basically, they dedicate no time to training to training their employees, which is a big negative, especially when you end up looking incompetent while doing tasks like U-Scan. Also, almost no opportunity to advance unless you want to get involved in company politics. Extremely rude customers.

Dedicate more time to training people on the technical aspects of the job. Don't just put them on the floor and expect that everything you're supposed to know about the job was embedded in our brains at birth, or that we were supposed to have learned how to be U-Scan operators in school. Generally, when you have to BS your way through everything, it makes people (the employee and the customers) uncomfortable. Give more people who don't want to play the politics game more opportunities to advance.

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger