There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

An ok job to have while in college or high school

Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger  in  Elizabethtown, KY
Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-wokers, union benefits, raise every 6 months, job is protected by the union, so it's fairly difficult to get fired.

Cons

Poor management, crazy work hours, working holidays, union conflicts between managers and employees. There's a lot of favoritism toward certain employees, especially the ones who were relatives or friends of the managers. Due to the union it's almost impossible to get fired, so if they no longer wanted you, they will just cut your hours down to one 4 hour day a week until you just quit. Another downfall to the union was that a lot of employees were extremely lazy as a result because they knew they wouldn't lose their job for doing absolutely nothing, so that would mean the good workers would have to work twice as hard.

Stop with the favoritism and start rewarding the employees who really deserve it.

1511 Other Employee Reviews for Kroger (View Most Recent)

Kroger is a good first time job

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the hours I was given, I enjoyed the people I got to meet, and that includes coworkers and customers. My managers and supervisors were nice, and helpful, especially when coworkers would take advantage of situations.

Cons

Pay, promises not followed through when I was "promoted", felt there were too many politics involved with trying to move up in the company, and even with dedication and hard word, I wasn't recognized, and others who had less experience were promoted before me even though I was told I was "on the list".

Be more empathetic to situations, be more understanding and more leadership like in critism than having a "boss" air. You're no better than your employee's, and scaring them into doing things, instead of wanting to help them thrive, is something that should be worked on.

The training for new manager need some reorganization efforts

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Kroger full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are some potential growth opportunities for managers

Cons

no organizational skill set for external employees

training need some organizational revamp

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!