Kroger

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Courtesy Clerk, bagger, cart getter

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Chester, VA
Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Chester, VA

I worked at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

10% discount, cheap gas discount

Cons

just being slow at night prety much or other than that its not a bad job

I just had a manager who said the ''rules' inthe handbook didnt exist. Other than that not a bad company to work for prety fun as a bagger. Kinda slow at night though

1806 Other Employee Reviews for Kroger (View Most Recent)

Store and department managers make all the difference

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Wichita, KS

I worked at Kroger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work in clean, beautiful stores with great customer service philosophy that you can be proud to work in.
    Receive excellent training and benefits, including 10% discount on Kroger family brand products and frequent employee specials to try new products for free or reduced price.
    They really try to improve store culture at the store level and get employees involved in cultural council and safety team in each store.
    Be given the opportunity to move up the corporate ladder if you so choose, many people in senior management started out as regular store employees.
    Annual employee recognition on your anniversary date.
    If you have a good department manager and store manager things will go really well, if you have a good department manager even if the store management things will be alright but not as smooth as there will be more drama in the store

Cons

Hours can get cut in certain departments or stores if business is slow, this can be bad if you are depending on the income. Larger stores tend to have more stable hours.
    Climbing the corporate ladder is very political and not possible for everyone, having department and store managers who are supportive and well connected in the company will be essential.
    There is a large chain of command, so you can do your job to suit your department manager, but the store manager, the area department specialist, or any of a host of other "higher up the food chain" people will have a different opinion, so standards seem to be inconsistent and change frequently.
    Store management changes, in four years with the company I had 4 different store managers and several different combinations of assistants, but I always had the same department manager and second who were great. The good news is if you get a bad store manager they probably won't be around long, so if your supervisor is okay you can probably make it work.

Standards need to be more consistent and uniform between all members of the hierarchy.
    They need to focus more on getting managers to practice the same good customer service they want their employees to. I have noticed in other stores, as well as with the last manager I had in the store I worked at, that there are some managers that don't greet customers or offer to help them which is company policy.

Good if you like confusing hours

I worked at Kroger

Pros

great benefits, great pay, management was ok most of the time, work pretty much all by yourself all day

Cons

no breaks, sometimes not 40 hours, had seperated days off (wed. and sat.) no set lunch time if you were even there for lunch.

stop trying to make employees move to fast throughout the job it is unsafe and cause very bad work conditions.

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger