There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

At Least It Is A Check

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Cross Lanes, WV
Current Employee - Cashier in Cross Lanes, WV

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Weekly paycheck at most Kroger stores.

Cons

You are working with teenagers, so if you are older you will be reminded of it everyday. Half of the employees just stand around and do nothing while you are working your butt off. The people definitely act their age and management does nothing when you complain.

I would tell management to get a backbone and stop being pushovers. They have rules set up but they never enforce them thus people do what they want there.

1511 Other Employee Reviews for Kroger (View Most Recent)

A great company to work for if money is not your driving force.

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Kroger is a solid company. It is a recession proof business. It is a large company that provides many opportunities for growth and advancement. There are many locations across the country which allows for flexibility in locations. The benefits package is pretty good. They will give just about anyone a chance. Kroger is moving towards a more "Green" management style, which means they are trying to be more supportive of their management and the development of their personnel. The company will help pay for school. In many areas the company is unionized which protects the workers and allows for higher wages.

Cons

Kroger has a definite division between the workers and management. They are not fond of promoting from within. To make the cross-over from worker to management they will offer you a pay cut. I have worked for Kroger for the last 16 years. In this time, I worked full time and went to school. I achieved a Bachelors in Management and a Masters in Business Administration. When I approached Kroger about moving into management they were very supportive until it came time to make an offer. They basically offered me what I was already making in yearly salary without any overtime. Also, I would be going from hourly to salary and thus would lose any opportunity for overtime. Furthermore, I would have to pay for a portion of my insurance and my work week would be based on a 45 to 50 hour week instead of the 40 I am currently working. So, when you add everything up this amounts to a pay cut with the hope of making more in the future.

The greatest advice I can offer to Senior Management is pay people what they are worth. In the 4 Keys, our company credo, Kroger says "Our people are great." Kroger should...

Pay people like they are "great."
    Reward people for experience and education.
    Give people hope in their company.
    Try to eliminate false promises.

Our industry is a hard one. We have companies like Wal-Mart who under pay their workers and are very successful. On the other hand there are companies like whole foods who heavily reward their employees and suffer by eliminating the much of the public as their target customers. Kroger needs to find a way to make their employees as happy as Whole Foods employees without sacrificing the ability to offer low priced groceries.

This does not look like it did in the brochure.

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

It's huge, almost nationwide so you can really move just about anywhere. The people that work here are great. You have security because its so large that you don't really have to worry about being laid off.

Cons

It is uninspiring. Buzz words and rumors of change are tossed around but it doesn't happen. Moving up is a waiting game that you get conned into playing. Turnover is constant and high and no one seems to understand that you have to change what youre doing if you want that to change.

Raise salaries. Listen to the answers to the questions that are posed. Make REAL change and not just talk about it.

There are newer employer reviews for Kroger

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!