Krystal

I love working for Krystal

Current Employee - Crew in Bristol, VA
Current Employee - Crew in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Krystal

Pros

I lke being able to move around and learn new things, I love my management team, I love having the ability to move up and having instore training for management, I love my schedule

Cons

Some of my other crew members do not always do their work to the best of their ability, the pay isn't the greatest especially for the shift managers, raises are not given on a regular basis (per 90 days or so forth), the crew is not always willing make the time to clean the store and take pride in where they work.

The management team is great with newcomers, but they need to make sure that everyone is being trained correctly and accurate information is being given to the newcomers. It takes team work to run a shift and a store, and without it the business will not be what it is expected to be. Help the employees by encouraging them to try new positions, try not to burn out the older employees on the area that they came in being trained on, even if they are great at it, we get burned out too. Help employees to want to move up into management.

37 Other Employee Reviews for Krystal (View Most Recent)

Very enlightening about the fast food industry.

Current Employee - General Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Krystal

Pros

The insurance is great for management.

Cons

Not enough training before being thrown into position. Constant upper management turnover. No raises for employees in years.

Listen to your store managers. They run this business for you.

Managers are very tolerable compared to other fast food, but almost no promotion opportunities

Current Employee - Cook in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Cook in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Krystal

Pros

The managers here are very tolerable and laidback. They help with the work and (with one exception) are not always shouting commands like at other fast food places. The work is not too intense unless a special event is going on (like a football game). Staffing is adequate on shifts other than overnight.

Cons

They pay minimum wage and there is almost no opportunity to improve pay. Yes you can become a "master cashier" or a "production master" and get $2.00 more per hour, but scheduling the test for this promotion is at the GM's discretion, and the GM hardly ever schedules anyone to be tested even after repeated requests. The store where I work is full to the brim with master cashiers but only has one production master so it's pretty obvious which way the bias slants.

The company doesn't seem to be concerned with making money which is particularly grating when they're only paying you minimum wage. For example, they have a "the customer is always right" policy in which customers can come to the store and say things like "Two days ago my order was messed up and the manager told me I could come back and get it again for free. It was 6 cheese Krystals, a medium fry and a large Coke." And the current manager will just give it to them for free, even when they're lying and there's no note or other record of this promise by management.

And finally, a lot of the employees are very lazy and do nothing. Since the managers are so laidback, they don't have the ability or the gumption to make employees do any work, so a lot of people take advantage of this and just be lazy and slack off. It makes it much harder on the rest of us who are doing the work, and it's frustrating to see the lazy ones earning the same minimum wage paycheck as those of us who are doing all the work.

Since you only pay minimum wage, you can't really attract very many good workers. You need to raise pay rates, implement normal raises, and get rid of the slackers who do nothing.

There are newer employer reviews for Krystal