There are newer employer reviews for Kumon North America

Flexible hours, decent work for a high school student.

Former Employee - Grader in Hackettstown, NJ
Former Employee - Grader in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Kumon North America part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. My boss was very considerate in acknowledging my academic duties and conflicts. Friendly atmosphere, too.

Cons

Very few hours weekly. When grading or inputting data, there is a very high volume of work in very short times during certain hours.

N/A

reviews filtered by

current manager - the ship is sinking!!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Kumon North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. Good medical and dental. The ability to accumulate some personal leave is good.

Cons

I had to laugh when I read all the glowing reviews recently posted especially from KY. They are FAKE. It's just some people wanting to win an IPAD. Also KY is where the factory is that makes the worksheets. Not people that are in the trenches trying to help the franchisees. Upper management is disrespectful of anyone and everyone below them. The infighting among them is crazy and makes the lives of those doing all the work ( those in the branches) miserable. They constantly say how they value their employees then in couple days 2 or 3 more good people will have been fired. Everyone I know that works here is actively looking for a new job elsewhere. Pay is poor, the evaluation system is fixed. You will not get a fair evaluation. It doesn't matter how many long hours (expected more than 40 a week) you put in your evaluation will be average to lower. You will be expected to work much more than 40 hours a week if you are in one of the branches. You will not get paid for them. This company is going down but upper management can't see what is happening due to their big heads and egos. Everyone is afraid to talk and no one trust anyone. We constantly look over our shoulders as you never know who they have paid to spy on us for what? Doing our jobs? It is a stressful place to work and you would be crazy to come to work here. The competitors are recruiting former and present employees but the droves. Keep looking don't get sucked into this place you will regret it.

Learn to speak English so you can communicate with your employees. So respect not disdain toward the employees. The employees are the ones helping you keep your job remember that.

Kumon NA HQ is a bizarre place

I have been working at Kumon North America full-time

Pros

The learning program has merit as old fashioned as it is.

Cons

Some math:
    Clueless Japanese managers + An unintelligible Pakistani COO who lies to make himself look good and bullies people because of his social anxiety = A very strange, uncomfortable and unproductive work environment.

The infighting at the top of the organization trickles down to all HQ departments. Staff at all levels spend hours of every work day complaining about mistreatment and mismanagement and trying to figure out what is expected of them. The atmosphere here is very paranoid and bleak as the desperate and dictatorial COO and CFO will do anything (lie, discriminate, destroy franchisees' lives) to stay in control.

The inside scoop is that the NA leaders will be pushed aside as more asian managers assume leadership. While that scenario won't fix everything, it will improve staff morale and productivity.

There are newer employer reviews for Kumon North America