L-3 Communications Government Services

www.eertsd.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications Government Services

I would only recommend L-3 Supporting PM TRASYS if you are a prior Marine Officer otherwise skip.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at L-3 Communications Government Services

Pros

Could work M-thr 9 hrs Fri 8 hrs and get every other Friday off.
Not much pressure "from workload" see cons below.

Cons

One glaring problem was only prior Marine Corps Male officers were given leadership or management positions many of them incompetent in their roles (Orlando Office). They may have been great military leaders with 20-30 years experience learning to fight. The problem arises because most of them only have liberal arts degrees and no real engineering or business experience. They do not know how to run a small company never mind several $100M projects Yes that is in Millions $. Many of the engineers were unqualified and were billed to the government as principle engineers when their only experience was operating or as a maintenance team while serving in the military. Had to literally explain why -50 dB was smaller then 10 dB, to the engineering Manager, actual had to draw a number line. Although this tends to be true in the DoD field concerning prior military retires, there are a few exceptions but unfortunately very few. I wouldn't necessarily blame them, after all you can't take the CEO of Apple and expect him to lead the war in Afghanistan, the skill don't necessarily transfer directly.

re-evaluate the Orlando office's competences and business experience. The Orlando office has become a Good-Old-Boy network for retired Male Marine Officers waiting for their second retirement. Also evaluate the engineers to ensure they have the credentials.

7 Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications Government Services (View Most Recent)

Not always what you think!!!

Current Employee - Combat Systems Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Combat Systems Test Engineer

I have been working at L-3 Communications Government Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is OK if you are looking for a better than Ok salary. If you have self integrity, you have the benefit of learning and completing multiple highly technical systems which will be used for todays military for our protection. You also have the benefit of feeling accomplished. You build relationships and friendships with many different people and co workers. Employee benefits and perks are very good.

Cons

Not able to move laterally within the Division that you are in or the company. I had an interview with my same company but a different division, and I was treated like I didn't even work for them at all. I still had to go through a drug test, verification of clearance, and not aware of my qualifications or work experience. Currently traveling to another state for the same job because of one yard shutting down and work is in another state. Unfortunately I have to pay for all my own expenses (Gas,Food,Hotel, ect....). Does not care about Work home life balance. The managers do not communicate with each other between the two sites of work. No sort of incentive or encouragement given for continuous success in work assignments and completions of testing. Your personal information is not confidential if you have to inform them of what you must take a day off, everyone will know your business when you return. There has not been any mention of transition of employees(move options,ect.) from the company yet. This question is 2 years old and still no answer. So I guess our answer is don't expect to have a job when that time comes!!! We don't care about you anyway....because it definitely shows!!!

Give the employees some type of incentive upon completion of testing. We work tirelessly to make sure the systems are delivered without any problems. A "Work Home life Balance" would be very nice. Can't ever plan for family outings, have a set time to get off, or expect a "Good Job" at any time.

Phenomenal Professionalism

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Fort Monroe, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Fort Monroe, VA

I worked at L-3 Communications Government Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professionalism. People, and Products. Honest and sincere culture of pride and respect in the work place. Above board and direct in customer relations. Product delivery above and beyond expectations.

Cons

Customer comes first, no matter what sacrifice required from employees. Compensation well below expected salary wage for work performed. Notable gender difference in salaries provided. No ladder of promotion available for professional growth.

Compensation and turnover rates are related. Many wonderful employees would love to remain a part of your organization for right sized compensation packages based on the actual work performed. Notable gender difference in salaries provided. No ladder of promotion available for professional growth.

There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications Government Services