Smart Company Structure

Current Employee - Business Manager in Wilmington, MA
Current Employee - Business Manager in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Small company feel with the influence of a large company. -L-3 is basically a collection of small companies with a huge array of industries, heavily leaning towards government contracting. This gives the company incredible agility on a case by case basis. -Employees can be as successful as they want, truly. Each individual division of L-3 is small enough that you can make a serious impact if you're dedicated, smart, and committed.

Cons

-Every company has communications issues. L-3 is no different.

Advice to Management

Company structure is incredibly smart. Take more care in developing more front line leadership. Err on the side of developing too many and using too little.

Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications

Uninspired engineer work

Former Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL

I worked at L-3 Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, laid-back atmosphere. People were very friendly. Also, other employees were very knowledgable and skilled.

Cons

Disorganized project management. Not much room for creative thinking as most work just ended in "this is what the customer wants" even if there were better solutions.

2. Mordac The Preventer of Information Services Reigns Corporate L-3 IT Policy

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

Pros

My division works a 9/80 schedule, so we get every other Friday off. At first I thought I would hate working a minimum of 9 hours every day but I've loved it. The people are all very friendly.

Cons

You aren't allowed to get on the Internet except through a super-ultra-annoying virtual super-highly secure and even more super-highly-slow-and-annoying-to-use kiosk thing. Need to google something that would normally take about 15 seconds? Sorry, that'll cost you about 5 minutes. Need access to the Internet through some tool other than a web browser, forget it. It's extremely cumbersome and annoying.

Advice to Management

Don't just roll over and take it when some corporate high-up mucky muck decides to impose some ridiculous draconian policy on the entire company.