L-3 Communications

There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

Smart Company Structure

Current Employee - Business Manager in Wilmington, MA
Current Employee - Business Manager in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Small company feel with the influence of a large company.
-L-3 is basically a collection of small companies with a huge array of industries, heavily leaning towards government contracting. This gives the company incredible agility on a case by case basis.
-Employees can be as successful as they want, truly. Each individual division of L-3 is small enough that you can make a serious impact if you're dedicated, smart, and committed.

Cons

-Every company has communications issues. L-3 is no different.

Company structure is incredibly smart. Take more care in developing more front line leadership. Err on the side of developing too many and using too little.

708 Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications (View Most Recent)

Mordac The Preventer of Information Services Reigns Corporate L-3 IT Policy

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

My division works a 9/80 schedule, so we get every other Friday off. At first I thought I would hate working a minimum of 9 hours every day but I've loved it. The people are all very friendly.

Cons

You aren't allowed to get on the Internet except through a super-ultra-annoying virtual super-highly secure and even more super-highly-slow-and-annoying-to-use kiosk thing. Need to google something that would normally take about 15 seconds? Sorry, that'll cost you about 5 minutes. Need access to the Internet through some tool other than a web browser, forget it. It's extremely cumbersome and annoying.

Don't just roll over and take it when some corporate high-up mucky muck decides to impose some ridiculous draconian policy on the entire company.

Great Pay Possible for Engineers/ Technical Growth not as much

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington Park, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington Park, MD

I worked at L-3 Communications

Pros

The people are friendly, and I found my management/group, to be particularly awesome. They were willing to challenge ideas, disagree respectfully, and take on action items when they were presented. This may have been a function of my particular group, but it was present.
    Also pay was well, since they can charge D.C. metro rates.

Cons

The Lexington Park division is going through some changes, due to being reliant on government funding changes, etc., In addition, the group down there is being spun off (as of the date).
    This can mean contracting/funding ups and downs, etc., While that's not uncommon in DoD related industries, it's still something worth mentioning.
    In addition, I found the company, this location in particular, to not be an engineering or technology company per se. Though they are involved in technical work. So be weary of this when it comes to expecting technical growth. It's more of a location for technical knowledge to be stored, as opposed to acquired.
    Finally, the place/organization, still felt a little behind the times, in terms of minor things: intranet/company wiki/benefits/employee discounts/etc/. Minor to some, but may be of note to others.

I have no real advice for management. But I will prop up my former manager and management chain. Very upfront, helpful, and overall good folk. I wish I could take them with me to my future endeavors!

There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications