There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

Life's good at L3

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

This is a company that really does its best to take care of its people. Even in the difficult times we are in now, layoffs are -really- a last resort . Most often the employee will be offered the chance to move to another area of the company that can leverage his/her skills. L3 is also a vast and diverse company. As well as having tangible asset product lines (i.e. communications gear, avionics, etc.) we also are a service provider to the defense industry at large. This means that large program cuts that affect other defense industry players like Boeing , Lockheed and Nortrhup do not affect L3 as much.

Cons

If your not directly working in a production oriented group and are in a service providing capability, you may find yourself "separated" from the company. That is, you may be working as a "sub" on some other provider's contract and that means your not in daily contact with "the mother ship". This is sometimes inconvenient.

Keep doing what your doing. If anything, streamline the hiring process (division and company dependent) at some locations so as to make it easier to compete for talent.

661 Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications (View Most Recent)

Leadership Issues

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

I actually enjoy the work I do and working with young military professionals. Job security seems to be good and decent pay / benefits.

Cons

I have been told by my immediate supervisor that my evaluations and job performance will not affect my advancement / promotion opportunities or pay raises.
    Have never (2 years with company) been provided with any formal counseling, either negative or positive.
    I am hesitant to report Equal Opportunity issues. Although negative repercussions are forbidden IAW company policy, I have seen everything personnel being forced to resign and others reassigned to undesirable positions for reporting problems.
    My entire team has come under a microscope from outside organizations due to fraud, waste and abuse by my immediate supervisor.

Take a good look at your leadership practices.

L-3 Communications: A good company that needs to refocus on its employees.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

If you desire to break into the defense/aerospace industry and lack an engineering or business background, L-3 is always looking for motivated, hard-working, employees whom require little oversight to accomplish their job.

Cons

L-3, like the rest of the industry, has little desire or incentive to build future company leaders. As a result, leadership opportunities within the company are awarded to individuals with government ties.

If L-3 intends to play with the big boys like BAE Systems or Lockheed, then they need to look beyond just price to sell their services.

There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!